Gonna go for the 50mm f/1.8(maybe f/1.4)

Coldow91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think finally that I am going to buy this lens. I know I will have to mf it on my D40 but I don't mind that. What I want to know is which versions will meter on my D40. Like I know the AF-D will meter, but will AIS, AI, or Non-Ai Meter?

MY guess is Non-AI won't meter.

and based on the price of metering and non metering I will decide which to get

AF and AF-D will meter, AI-S, AI, and pre-AI all won't.

ok thanks! also another question is of all the choices above is which has the best build quality/toughness/strength. I have heard that the AF-D version of the F/1.8 is weak piece of plastic.

I've had both the f/1.4 and f/1.8 versions, currently the f/1.4. They're both cheap Made in China plastic builds. You might be able to find some older versions with the better builds and Made in Japan.

I've had both the f/1.4 and f/1.8 versions, currently the f/1.4. They're both cheap Made in China plastic builds. You might be able to find some older versions with the better builds and Made in Japan.

Not sre where you got your 1.4, but mine is metal.

yeah I think that I am definitely looking for something with metal build.

Well, unless you go old, and sacrifice metering, all of the 50mm lenses will feel "cheap". That doesn't mean they're bad quality at all, and the lightness can come in very handy, but if you just want extreme build quality, you'll need to go old. I have an ancient 50mm 1.8 AI lens (I think it's AI), and it feels like liquid when you (manually:x) focus.

Anyway, I would still go with the AF-D if I had the choice. Guessing the SS and aperture on an F/1.8 or 1.4 lens can be really tricky at times. EDIT: Actually, not so. Just tested out my AI again. I'd still go AF-D, though.

It's also very worth noting that you'll still be able to use the Electronic Range Finder in your camera's viewfinder (the little green dot when it focuses right) to tell whether your shot will be in focus or not. VERY handy on an F/1.4 :p

Haha this is great. I just came on here to make a thread asking which to go for. I love when stuff works out like this!

thanks for all the info. I knew about the green dot for focusing but was not sure on metering. I think I will go for the AF-D because I think that metering and autofocusing on my Dad's D80 is worth $50. Also it seems that plenty of people fair fine with the plastic lens so that is what I will go for

i have a 50mm canon ef 1.8 lens and it feels very cheap but it was only 80 bucks new and it takes nice pictures.

I have the Nikor 50 f/1.8 and I have used it for 2 years now. And mine does get bounced around in my backpack, without breaking.

Most reactions

Back