Gonna Need a Bigger Throat *CAUTION, FISH GUTS*

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday, I captured a pig (great blue heron) trying to swallow a large dead fish it had spotted laying on the beach. After it finally gave up trying a wee little feller stepped up to show the heron how it's done! :biggrin-new:

11142338-studio.jpg

11142343-studio.jpg

3 A good rinse to remove the sand and help it slide down the ol' gullet.
11142348-studio.jpg

11142370-studio.jpg

11142380-studio.jpg

11142395-studio.jpg

11142413-studio.jpg

11142416-studio.jpg

11142425-studio.jpg

Very good set, he bit off more than he could chew, as it were......

Very nice set! I like #4 and #9. The fish looks like a Spanish Mackerel. I got caught in a school of those, and boy do they nip at you. Fortunately, I too was too big to consume...

Nice set. The last one made me smile.

Good action set.

I don't think it's a Spanish Mackarel @jeffashman . Too deep in the body, more like a Permit, Pompano or similar.

Very nice set! I like #4 and #9. The fish looks like a Spanish Mackerel. I got caught in a school of those, and boy do they nip at you. Fortunately, I too was too big to consume...
Thanks, Jeff, those are my favorites, too. Spanish Mackerel are plentiful here and good eating but that's not one, that's a pompano. Note the single dorsal on top, the short dorsal on the bottom, the yellow belly and the wide "V" tail fin. Never ate it but a lot of people say they're the best tasting fish on the planet because of their high fat content. I like your fish story, though. that happened to me once but with bluegill in a New Paris, Ohio stone quarry. It kinda tickled but they were small.

Thanks, Jeff, those are my favorites, too. Spanish Mackerel are plentiful here and good eating but that's not one, that's a pompano. Note the single dorsal on top, the short dorsal on the bottom, the yellow belly and the wide "V" tail fin. Never ate it but a lot of people say they're the best tasting fish on the planet because of their high fat content. I like your fish story, though. that happened to me once but with bluegill in a New Paris, Ohio stone quarry. It kinda tickled but they were small.
Ha, I got it right. I'm ace😂😂😂😂

Nice set. The last one made me smile.
Thanks, Pete. That one has that effect, it made me smile, too.

Good action set.

I don't think it's a Spanish Mackarel @jeffashman . Too deep in the body, more like a Permit, Pompano or similar.
Thanks, Bubba and you're right, it's a pompano. The bird has good taste if nothing else.

Thanks! I misidentified the fish when I was a teenager, because that right there in your photo is what I encountered, so pompano it is. Actually, glad it wasn't the mackerel; looking at a pic, those suckers have teeth. Come to think of it, as an adult I would have probably been rather concerned to be caught in a large school of pompano, neck deep in the Atlantic ocean, given what follows them. As a kid, it didn't even occur to me. Amazing that I survived to adulthood. 😋

Lovely set - that is some fish :)

Les

Most reactions

New Topics

Back