Good beginner lenses.. Need opinions...

saharac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I am new to DSLR photography and I am just amazed by the lens options... I just bought the Canon T3i body (delivered today), and I was looking through some of the lenses to get started...
I dont want to spend big $$, but still want some quality..

The few of them I looked at and need your opinions on are:
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS
Canon EFS 18-55mm - standard kit lens
Canon EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS USM

I'm open to getting them used as well and am kinda leaning towards the Canon EF 28-135mm & Canon EF 50mm (used).

I do a mix of landscapes and portraits.. I want something that is a bit multi-purpose and good to travel with...

Appreciate your comments.

Cheers....

Hi,

I am new to DSLR photography and I am just amazed by the lens options... I just bought the Canon T3i body (delivered today), and I was looking through some of the lenses to get started...

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

I'm open to getting them used as well and am kinda leaning towards the Canon EF 28-135mm & Canon EF 50mm (used).

I do a mix of landscapes and portraits.. I want something that is a bit multi-purpose and good to travel with...

Cheers....

From some of my reading, Canon consumer lenses are not always very good. Canon make some fantastic L lenses but some of the kit lenses seem to be very lacking. Nikon's consumer glass seems to have quite a bit of an edge in my opinion! Then again Canon pro lenses are cheaper than Nikon's so I guess it evens out.

You may be better off looking at lenses such as the Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 17-70. Which are both decently rated! Welcome to Photozone! does some great reviews and it really does not rate lenses such as the 17-85. If you want a cheap and high quality Canon prime, the 85 1.8 is very highly rated by just about all.

Look at a Tamron 28-75, these lenses are very sharp from f4 on and can also be used for macro...and get the 50 1.8.
Variable aperture lenses are usually not the best.

Thanks for the advice.. I'll look into those Tamron lenses..

Hi,

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Cheers....

Out of all the listed lens, I will pick the 50mm + the 18-55mm kit lens. The newer Canon kit lens is not bad. There are a lot of lenses out there better than the Canon kit lens, but it is not bad at all . Quoted from Photozone about the Canon kit lens.

"There were a few moments when I considered not to publish the results due to "political correctness" because to date it was a quite absurd thought that such a cheap, or better "affordable", lens can perform this good and I'm sure that some will not believe the findings even though they're supported by the published field images."

And the cost of a used EF 28-135mm IS lens should be about the same as a used 50mm and 18-55mm kit lens combine. ( I sold 2 EF 28-135mm IS lens for $300 each in the past - lens looks like brand new)

For walk around lens, I prefer using the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. I think it is around $300 to $350 in used market.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back