good beginners book

polock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
what is a good book for beginners in DSLR photography??? i have been out of the loop for so long that i want to get a book about all the tips and tricks used in these modern cameras?? i am thinking about picking up the lanterns guide to my xt but i would like something that covers filters, lens, and all that magical goodness as well

The best first book for DSLR beginners would be the owner's manual. The best forst books for photography beginners would be Bryan Peterson's 'Understanding Exposure' and Ansel Adams' 'The Negative'.

Another two good books are:
Both updated to include all forms of digital photography

Langford's Advanced Photography (7th edition)
Langford's Basic Photography: the guide for serisous photographers (8th edition)

I would have to agree, Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure is an excellant beginners book.

If you want an introduction to photographic techniques, have a look at the links in my signature.

I have to agree with Peterson's Understanding Exposure as well.

I just bought Understanding Exposure a few days ago. What I've read of it is good, however the title says it all. It won't give you advice like getting to your subjects eye level to make shots more personal, or other tips like that. It will simply tell you how to adjust your aperture, shutter speed, and film speed to obtain a certain look you're going for. But if you're wanting the more scientific aspect of photography (its roots, really), then its irreplaceable.

Read through those last night. Very well done :wink:

Thanks. :)

Truth be told, the best source of information is on the net. There are plenty of articles and tutorials out there, as well as websites like this one where you can ask questions and people with years of experience are happy to answer your questions.

Understanding Exposure was such an excellent book! I really appreciated the fact that Mr. Peterson described how he set up for each picture throughout the book. He has a gift of explaining things well. He did leave out flash photography since he does not use it much, so I am weak on that now.

How are his other books? (Understanding Shutter Speed, for example)

Most reactions

Back