Good book for beginners, thanks to Derrel

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recommendation from Derrel to someone else in another thread. Got it used, under $5.00 shipped a couple weeks ago. Excellent value and has answers to many questions you wondered about and didn't know how to ask. Ordered a second one for my son and it came today. Thanks Derrel, great advice.

9b956a1a293c7101f21c3e81f72017f0.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Derrel is quite the resource. And Hedgecoe is a classic.

I'm also fond of Bryan Peterson's books--good for beginners in terms of composition and creativity, explaining how aperture, shutter speed and ISO and inter-relate and shape the picture. Probably less valuable in the nuts and bolts of a digital camera (how to use exposure compensation, how to do rear-curtain sync, etc.).

I still need to pick this up, I have Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure book and that was excellent..though I'll admit that I haven't finished reading it and I got it like two years ago. I've always been more of a hands on/visual learning than learning from reading but I still like to read these books. I have another one from the 70s called Independent Photography by Robert Foothorap and that's a great book. No talk about digital..its all film and manual controls. The fundamentals of it still apply today to photography. It even talks about developing your own film if you are into that. Heck, even talks about how you should the camera! I should pick up a new one though because the binding is starting to come apart.

Too funny, I just received that book today based on Derrel's recommendation in a thread floating around the site somewhere. Mine was used for .01 plus 4.95 shipping:D

I still need to pick this up, I have Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure book and that was excellent..though I'll admit that I haven't finished reading it and I got it like two years ago. I've always been more of a hands on/visual learning than learning from reading but I still like to read these books. I have another one from the 70s called Independent Photography by Robert Foothorap and that's a great book. No talk about digital..its all film and manual controls. The fundamentals of it still apply today to photography. It even talks about developing your own film if you are into that. Heck, even talks about how you should the camera! I should pick up a new one though because the binding is starting to come apart.
Part of the reason I often recommend Peterson to newbies is that he's not only prolific (both he and Hedgecoe have cranked out a lot of stuff but he's not up to Hedgecoe's level yet--30 books I think) but Peterson's on video as well as workshops. So if you like how he writes (or the message he sends) you've got other outlets to get him from. Adorama TV for instance is a quick, free way for people who like his style and message but don't do books well.

Looked around,on Amazon India it is like 80$ :(
Mind asking your source if they ship to India please?
They do not. They do not have any more anyway.

Hey! Good to see you got your copy! I can guarantee you that you will learn a LOT of good solid stuff from any John Hedgecoe photography book. As JoeW mentioned, John Hedgecoe was a proflic writer...I read once that he had released 32 separate books! For me the things that make his books so educational are the combination of logical chapter content and chapter organization; clear, simple writing; lots of diagrams; lots of photos using comparative scenarios. Basically, a Hedgcoe photograph book has around 1,000 to 1,200 small illustrations, be they photos, diagrams, or charts. This makes for very compacted, simple, and easy to follow lessons. Breaking the world of photography down into logical chapters, with simple and effective teaching methods, was what his books were all about.

you can also go to your local library and check out photography books for free.
Or check out the ebook for free
free .....

Hey! Good to see you got your copy! I can guarantee you that you will learn a LOT of good solid stuff from any John Hedgecoe photography book. As JoeW mentioned, John Hedgecoe was a proflic writer...I read once that he had released 32 separate books! For me the things that make his books so educational are the combination of logical chapter content and chapter organization; clear, simple writing; lots of diagrams; lots of photos using comparative scenarios. Basically, a Hedgcoe photograph book has around 1,000 to 1,200 small illustrations, be they photos, diagrams, or charts. This makes for very compacted, simple, and easy to follow lessons. Breaking the world of photography down into logical chapters, with simple and effective teaching methods, was what his books were all about.
I really want to get his book Portraits. I want to see his work up close.

would this be a good book for someone who is not so great at landscapes but wants to get good at them.

would this be a good book for someone who is not so great at landscapes but wants to get good at them.
I would not buy it just for that. It covers all aspects of the art form.

126dc4a7f4851360556d1b456fb63827.jpg

I got my second book today, cost a whopping $3.56. It smells old and when my cat smelled it, her mouth stayed open.... Anyway, super duper information. Ordered the landscape one for same dollar amount but far away, waiting for it.

a948db07311eadc4351a85bf1b307144.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back