Good camera for recording small objects?

jskd82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I am looking for a camera that is good at videoing small fast moving objects. I have heard that a smaller sensor is better for capturing small objects, Is this true? Lighting shouldn't be an issue since I will be using box lights. I am currently eyeing the Sony ZV-1 but unsure if that would suite my needs. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi. You probably have to consider slow motion, because the cars will pass your camera in a fraction of a second, even if you follow it. That would require faster shutter speeds and might render your lights less effective than you think. Also: it might start to flicker at certain shutter speeds.
But in general, a camera with a smaller sensor would give you a bigger depth of focus and is easier to focus. It will still challenge every camera.
Do you have a camera that you can try it with?

Hi. You probably have to consider slow motion, because the cars will pass your camera in a fraction of a second, even if you follow it. That would require faster shutter speeds and might render your lights less effective than you think. Also: it might start to flicker at certain shutter speeds.
But in general, a camera with a smaller sensor would give you a bigger depth of focus and is easier to focus. It will still challenge every camera.
Do you have a camera that you can try it with?
Hi, thanks for replying. Yes I have tried with a GoPro in 1080 @ 120fps and a Canon M50 with kit lens in 1080 @ 60fps. I think the GoPro was ok but a little wide and the M50 was a little blurry trying to follow it. I also tried with my phone a Galaxy S8+ and that was decent.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for replying. Yes I have tried with a GoPro in 1080 @ 120fps and a Canon M50 with kit lens in 1080 @ 60fps. I think the GoPro was ok but a little wide and the M50 was a little blurry trying to follow it. I also tried with my phone a Galaxy S8+ and that was decent. trying to film something like this

I was about to suggest trying with your smartphone (as weird as that sounds). But other than that, you probably want a dedicated video camera. I would hardly ever suggest that, because I like the look that mirrorless cameras give you for filming, but this is probably the case for one.

I was about to suggest trying with your smartphone (as weird as that sounds). But other than that, you probably want a dedicated video camera. I would hardly ever suggest that, because I like the look that mirrorless cameras give you for filming, but this is probably the case for one.
Thanks, anyone in particular? I just ordered a Sony ZV-1 yesterday so I guess I'll see how that does first and if not I'll go the dedicated video route.

I'm afraid not really! I haven't worked with dedicated video cameras for ages. I just remember Sony had an insane built-in stabilizer for that time in their consumer line. Not sure if the others caught up, it's been a while.

I'm afraid not really! I haven't worked with dedicated video cameras for ages. I just remember Sony had an insane built-in stabilizer for that time in their consumer line. Not sure if the others caught up, it's been a while.
Alright thanks for your help I really appreciate it. I'll do some research on some dedicated video cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back