Good enough?

dcmoody23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally made up my mind and purchased the Canon 7D..

I bought a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens to go with it.. But the more I read reviews, the more uneasy I become... Is this a good enough lens for my body? Or should I return it, pick up a cheap lens for temporary use, save money (not REALLY going to need a nice lens through winter) and get myself a top notch lens once baseball season comes around?

Thanks in advance for any input.

honestly, i'd bring the lens back and get something cheaper for now.
by cheaper, I mean quality glass at a lower price, which are usually prime lenses.

i have a tamron 28-75 f2.8 which i love, and i have read good thing about the 17-55 version as well, and the sigma 10-20, but i have never really read much good on the telephotos from sigma.

so there must be a reason. Pick up a 50mm f1.4 for now and save up for a decent telephoto from canon.

I dunno, I got a used Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM (no macro, older style with aperture ring) and it's been great.

I have a 70-200 2.8 and I absolutely love it. Excellent lens, especially for the money. The only thing I would like would be to have IS with it, as in low light I still struggle a bit, but it's a heavy duty lens, that focuses quite quickly. Definitely good enough for your 7D

i would always take actual experience over me talking out of my butt anyday

:thumbup:

btw, for Baseball, I wouldn't really think you would need IS for that. Though, perhaps a longer lens would be nice, depending on what type of baseball you will be photographing and how far away you will be.

But really, it should be fine. I would say, before you return it, play with it for a while. See if you love it. If you don't, then sure... return it. If you do, then keep it. If you keep it for a while you shouldn't lose much on it (particularly if you got it used) otherwise you should still have at least 30 days or so to return it. Just test it out and see if you love it.

well in terms of baseball I won't be shooting anything serious... I'll probably be setting up a tripod, putting the video on so I can break down my form... I may take a few stills but they won't be anything too serious.. Setting up a tripod will probably hurt me, ah? Does a tripod ruin quality when you have IS? Seems to me like they may contradict, but I have no experience so I wouldn't know...

Thanks.

well in terms of baseball I won't be shooting anything serious... I'll probably be setting up a tripod, putting the video on so I can break down my form... I may take a few stills but they won't be anything too serious.. Setting up a tripod will probably hurt me, ah? Does a tripod ruin quality when you have IS? Seems to me like they may contradict, but I have no experience so I wouldn't know...

Thanks.

On a tripod you shut the IS off. I was going to explain why, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain it better.

Thanks.

On a tripod you shut the IS off. I was going to explain why, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain it better.

I believe it has something to do with the rotation of the earth on its southern polar axis, makes IS not ideal when totally stationnary on a tripod. But this only applies if you are shooting at night in the western hemisphere or in the day in the eastern hemisphere.

well, that and the fact that the lens is assuming that there is shake and so it is automatically trying to adjust even though there is no (normal) shake on a tripod.

Also, it's not something you would have to worry about on the Sigma, because it doesn't have IS. A tripod is usually fine, I often see photogs at major league games using a monopod, just so they can get to different angles quickly and have some stability as well. Of course, many times they are also using a 400 2.8 or something of that ilk which is a good bit bigger and heavier than the 70-200 2.8 you got.

well, that and the fact that the lens is assuming that there is shake and so it is automatically trying to adjust even though there is no (normal) shake on a tripod.

What he said.

Most reactions

Back