What's new

Good flash for CANON 400D and CANON7D

Samplex

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 19, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am looking for a flash that is compatible with those 2 cameras and as well nice to make some macros. I am using Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens. I would like to know what flash models you advise me to buy.

Hope that you could help me :thumbup:
 
430ex or a 580ex should work.

if you want to save a few bucks and are pretty good with manual mode, find a 540ez, as long as you don't plan on linking it to other flash units. I've got one, it's an older model and can be found for a lot cheaper than the 580 and 430. only problem is it's not E-TTL compatible, but if you can live with that, for the money it can't be touched. I use one on my 5D and my 400D and I'm impressed. I just wanted something I could bounce off a ceiling.
 
For macro a 430EX2 would be a good option - powerfull enough without being too heavy. A 580EX2 is a step up from that in power and overall features and certainly worth investing in if you can afford it. A bit heavier than the 430, but not impossible to use.

Of course for best use with macro you'll also need:

1) an offcamera flash cable- the canon short coiled cord is ideal if somewhat pricey
2) diffuser - can be home made or a product (lumiquest softbox is a good choice
3) offcamera flash bracket. Myself I strongly recommend a RAM-Mount bracket setup similar to this one: My very flexible Macro flashbracket: Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review
 
Hey there. Thank you so much for the replies and advises! Well 'google-ing' the flashes I've seen both the 430EX2 and 580EX2 for sale but not the 540EZ.
When coming to purchase material I always try to buy the very best. If its something that makes up for the money and is really worth every single cent why not.
I've seen the 580EX2 is more expensive than 430EX2 that is right... Twice the price. But in therms of quality-price witch ones does compensate the most for the investment? Witch one can adapt to more diferent types of shooting situations, scenarios and also witch could be fairly well used to non macro photos (short ranged)...

Also I've very young to flash and flash related stuff, still a unclear world for me but what does the diffuser for the picture itself? Were could I get a good one for one of the two flashes above? An offcamera flash cable looks really neat... but could I fix the flash in the tripod legs by an instance? what its used to grab the flash to it?
Witch good set of offcamera flash cable should I purchase? Ideas please?
About the offcamera flash bracket...Well Ive seen the link and I simply dont understand the concept..? Why not to use it right were it shall be placed (top) or to fix it in a tripod leg or so with an offcamera flash cable? Sorry for newbie behaviour but I cant do best:blushing:...yet..

Hope you guys can give me a light on this :)
Thank you for all,
 
Hey there. Thank you so much for the replies and advises! Well 'google-ing' the flashes I've seen both the 430EX2 and 580EX2 for sale but not the 540EZ.
When coming to purchase material I always try to buy the very best. If its something that makes up for the money and is really worth every single cent why not.
I've seen the 580EX2 is more expensive than 430EX2 that is right... Twice the price. But in therms of quality-price witch ones does compensate the most for the investment? Witch one can adapt to more diferent types of shooting situations, scenarios and also witch could be fairly well used to non macro photos (short ranged)...

Also I've very young to flash and flash related stuff, still a unclear world for me but what does the diffuser for the picture itself? Were could I get a good one for one of the two flashes above? An offcamera flash cable looks really neat... but could I fix the flash in the tripod legs by an instance? what its used to grab the flash to it?
Witch good set of offcamera flash cable should I purchase? Ideas please?
About the offcamera flash bracket...Well Ive seen the link and I simply dont understand the concept..? Why not to use it right were it shall be placed (top) or to fix it in a tripod leg or so with an offcamera flash cable? Sorry for newbie behaviour but I cant do best:blushing:...yet..

Hope you guys can give me a light on this :)
Thank you for all,

if you deciding between canon 430 and 580, i'd recommend reading this comparison: Canon 430EX II vs 580EX II
I'd also recommend looking at third parties such as Sigma, Nissin and Sunpack. if money is not an issue, however, Canon units are an obvious choice.

diffusers/reflectors come in all kind of flavors. you could start with this rating page, for instance: best flash diffuser
for on-camera work you would need something reasonable sized and versatile like FlashBenders, Flipt-it or Lumiquest
for off-camera... the larger the batter :) look at portable softboxes.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom