good lens to step up from the kit lens, need range and sharpness!

janeJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I finally have the money to get any lens I want but the options are over whelming . i am very used to the 18-55 kit lens so i would like to stay as low as 18 but go up on the other end.. i have seen the 18-135, and 18-200 and a 17-85 obviously i am overwhelmed .. i want a sharper lens then the kit i have now, which has good range... what do you recommend. By the way I am a wedding photographer. i have read reviews but they all seem to be for the most part good. I don't know if the people leaving the reviews are professionals, hobbyist or just taking pictures of their kids. so some professional advice would be great.

thanks,
Jane

The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS is 'sharper than a serpent's tooth', as the saying goes, and it in many wedding photog's bags. You can't get much better. Underneath of it would be the 24-70 f/2.8. You can pick up the pair for around 5 grand....

thanks jim.. don't have any use for the zoom i have now..maybe 1 in 50 weddings i need it for a catholic ceremony. Being in new orleans, i find myself in tight places, little rooms or surrounded by crowds, so i will definitely look into the 24-70 f/2.8... i wish it was a wider angle though, i often do not have time to switch lenses, or people are literally running into me at receptions, not to long ago i was trying to put on my fish eye and some drunk ran right into me and i dropped it.. so i try to avoid switching lenses to much.

What other lenses do you shoot with normally ?

that's it just the kit lens.. i have a zoom and a fish eye but i barely use them... i am self taught so i don't have any preconceived notions that i need a bunch of gear to get great pictures. It has worked out fine so far b/c i have shot 77 weddings in 2 years and i have 30 booked for this year already. I just thought if there is something better w/ a similar range i would like to upgrade. I have a T2i... don't really do much video just video of my kids so i am not worried abt. it being a good video lens.

Do you have a website? i would love to see it.

After 77 weddings, i HOPE you have the money to invest on a good lens...especially when you work that much with it. ...

77 weddings in 2 years is nuts

I was about to respond to this thread, but something happened.

<RAGE QUIT: SESSION TERMINATED>

77 weddings with an xt, xti, and t2i.... i dont know much about shooting weddings but i do know my xti. its not that great for dark places. and I know new orleans churches seeing as i spent 14yr living down there. i too would like to see some of this work, hell i might move back to nola to start shooting weddings. and to stay a little on topic, the 16-35 2.8 is a super step up for the closed areas.

You got it all! out of focus images, selective colouring, crazy side way shots and DOF created using cool photoshop blur! whoooooooohooooooooooooooo! I feel like a total jerk now.
face-palm.jpg

Hopefully, I can get this all entered before my head explodes...

1. For the tight spots, get a Canon 16-35 f2.8L II. Outstanding quality, IQ, etc.
2. Get a full frame body to put the 16-35 on...it'll be more than wide enough for tight spaces! Having 2 bodies provides a backup as well as minimizing lens changes as you'll be "wearing" both at the same time.
3. Replace your T2i with something better in low light. If you like the crop body framing, a 60D or 7D (or soon to be released 70D?) would be a good fit. Otherwise, a 6D or 5D3.

With 30+ weddings this year and all your other weddings, you should have more than enough to cover all of the above.

Hi bratkinson.. thanks for the advice.. i think the short range on the 16-35 is not optimal for me.. i was looking at a 15-85 yesterday any thoughts on that.. and i am a small woman so i don't/ can't wear 2 cameras at the same time unless i want to end my career in 5 years from neck problems..... i don't even use my battery grip b/c my hands/wrist are small and it just adds weight.

@ Ghache.. go f*** your self! i said it.... where is your work a**hole..? huh? you don't have any pictures on your profile you troll.. say what you want abt. my work... my clients are happy and i am paying the bills, mean while you obviously have nothing better to do then reply and f*** w/ everyone on this forum.. and i would bet money you are on other forums.. i would defend alllllll the stupid **** you said but its not worth it.. i mean you even took the time to find a meme to post along w/ your rantings..grow up old man, there is constructive criticism and then there is just being a dick. congrats on the latter. you can take the best pictures in the world but if you are a jerk no one will want to hire you. i am surprised no one has reported your pathetic self yet. i asked a question about lenses and you have not come remotely close to actually joining in on that conversation and side ways shots are in..people like it... stop living in the past.. if they didn't, i would be waiting tables..smdh..;):lmao: if by some odd chance you do take half way good pictures you should still just stay off these forums..so us constructive folks can actually get real advice and have intelligent/enjoyable conversations.

Why are you changing lenses? Lots of wedding photographers use multiple camera bodies so they don't have to do that.
You need at least 1 back up camera body anyway.

There is a sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 which gets good reviews. I nearly bought this but got a tamron 17-50 f2.8 instead. Its great lens but actually has a little less focal length than your kit lens. Its fast though so would be better than kit in low light

Most reactions

Back