Good Nikon flash?

PhotoFrenzie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Need some recommendations on a good Nikon flash for around $200. I will be using it for sports mostly.

I have a D7000 if that helps with recommendations.

TTL or manual?

You might find a used SB-600 for that price.. but that will be the only good NIKON flash you will find for that money. You could probably find an SB-400... but not worth it, they are not much stronger than your popup flash.

There are LOTs of aftermarket flashes you can get for that much.. how good they are is a matter of debate. If you want something straight manual... the Vivitar 285, and the Yongnou 560 are popular choices. If you are looking for Cheap TTL.. can't help you.. I don't know of any! :)

cgipson1 said:
You might find a used SB-600 for that price.. but that will be the only good NIKON flash you will find for that money. You could probably find an SB-400... but not worth it, they are not much stronger than your popup flash.

There are LOTs of aftermarket flashes you can get for that much.. how good they are is a matter of debate. If you want something straight manual... the Vivitar 285, and the Yongnou 560 are popular choices. If you are looking for Cheap TTL.. can't help you.. I don't know of any! :)

X2. If ttl isn't important, I suggest. Its much stronger than the sb600.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Autofocus-Shoe-Mount-Flashes/1/sku-NA219990528510?r=FE

One tell is if they're asking about what flash they need for their photography, chances are they need TTL.

Anyone going manual will prob have a good grasp of what they want.

good call on the 28.... didn't think of that one! :)

What sports are you using this for? Most sport work is done off camera so you'll want something that works with the Nikon wireless system...

One tell is if they're asking about what flash they need for their photography, chances are they need TTL.

Anyone going manual will prob have a good grasp of what they want.

That is why I was suggesting the SB-600! ;)

Ive never understood why dslr users need ttl flash. Do lighting conditions vary THAT much that a manual flash cant be used? Frankly, i hate any automatic metering when using a flash--manual is much more predictable.

djacobox372 said:
Ive never understood why dslr users need ttl flash. Do lighting conditions vary THAT much that a manual flash cant be used? Frankly, i hate any automatic metering when using a flash--manual is much more predictable.

I can use a AF assist light every now and then. That's about it. I think it only works with a ttl compatible flash. I could be wrong.

Agreed! But in some fast changing situations / events... TTL rocks! And IF you know how your TTL works, and shoot for that.... it works well! Especially the Nikon version of TTL!

I bought the SB700 for my D7000 and I think it's a great flash. I think the SB700 might be a little more then you are looking to spend but I would consider saving a little extra and getting the SB700.

Most reactions

Back