Good Studio Deal or Stay Away From?

Blankenship24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, So ive found a local photographer whose selling some of his studio stuff, and i am in the market for a beginner studio light set. I just wanted some feedback on whether it's a good deal or to look elsewhere. I offered him $450, and he's willing to take that price. So is this a good deal for $450?

Here's what included:

3 Britek PS-300H 150ws strobe flash
- reflector for umbrellas
- lightstand clamp
- sync cord
- power cord

1 Britek HS-1500 300ws strobe flash
- reflector for umbrellas
- lightstand clamp
- sync cord
- power cord

1-Britek snoot
2- Photogenic Eclipse 45" umbrellas with covers
3- Britek 4066 8' light stands

Superlight 10x20 high key white backdrop with bag & clamps
blue, green, gray twisto-flex backgrounds
10x20 blue/brown portrait muslin

Photographer can say whatever he wants. ;) Can you check the gear by yourself personally?

I believe you can pick up another kit that is able to be adjusted a bit more. Looked at the first light that you mentioned and it only has a full/1/2 power position. I would look at Calumet Travelites or Alien Bees and build from there. Looks like alot of gear but you really need to control the power output specially in a confined space.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Okay, so another question. How about the Novatron Lighting Systems? There's one on craigslist right now, Novatron 400 400 w/s Mini Pro with umbrellas and stands, for $350 but could probably get it for $300. Is this a better deal?

Okay, so another question. How about the Novatron Lighting Systems? There's one on craigslist right now, Novatron 400 400 w/s Mini Pro with umbrellas and stands, for $350 but could probably get it for $300. Is this a better deal?
Depends on the condition of the power supply, if it is the aluminum finish and blue it is an older model , black and yellow is a little newer. Also they have different heads that are available that allow 1or 2 stops difference or none at all, your main adjustment is done by a poteniometer on the power pack that sends the voltage to each unit. If you have a place for studio lighting and you used them indoors at location it will do fine. You still need stands and some kind of diffusion for the lights. Panels or Softlighter II work well with this setup as most have 4 lights. Next time just post the link to the equipment , I don't think anyone would buy it from under you.
-
Shoot well, Joe
-
How much do you want to spend?
Can you do the job with off-camera flash?
Do you own any off camera flashes?
Studio or portable use? or both?
What kind of modifiers are availble for the system and costs of same?
Does the equipment have a decent resale value if I decide to step up?
Do I want Wireless triggering?
-
I'm sure others will chime in on what you may have to consider... do not be in a hurry to spend your money do your homework and then make a decision.
-
shoot well, Joe

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back