Good studio lights?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was one of those dumb people that bought cheap lights and have now seen the error of my ways. Could someone please tell me what a good set of lights is to buy for studio. I do not take pic. every day but fairly often and am trying to expand my business. I am totally in the dark on this so please try to be specific.

Thanks

Your best bet is just to use TPF's 'search' function and search for 'studio' or 'studio lights' or something.

General consensus, from what I've seen, is that Alien Bees strobes are the way to go. Continuous lighting seems to have way more naysayers. www.alienbees.com I think.

Edit: BigMike ain't just big... he's fast.

Thanks,

I have already checked alienbees but was unsure which set I would need. I have a continuous light set that was about $300 and I hate it. I want something that will work for a while and will give off enough light for my white backdrop, my current lights do not. Is the $500 set good enough or will I need to go higher.

I was one of those dumb people that bought cheap lights and have now seen the error of my ways. Could someone please tell me what a good set of lights is to buy for studio. I do not take pic. every day but fairly often and am trying to expand my business. I am totally in the dark on this so please try to be specific.

Thanks

Go to the library or buy a book on studio lighting and read it. It will give you a great perspective on what you need for the type of photography you want to do. It will show you the types of light setup you need for specific types of shots. It can save you from buying equipment that you do not need, at least to start.

Also check out some of the Sell forums such as the one here. There have been several people that bought a nice alienbees or other package and decided after using it for a day or two that they just didn't like it. You can find some good bargins sometimes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back