Good use of selective focus?

flameshots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure how I like these. Y'all let me know what you think. I have a whole series of these with my sons team. I had a real hard time keeping the camera from focusing on the netting.

I think it works well. Try a portrait orientation to get the entire player in frame (and less background, i.e. cars)

The best way to avoid focusing on the net is to choose AF Spot mode, even then it will be tough.

p!nK

I think it works well. Try a portrait orientation to get the entire player in frame (and less background, i.e. cars)

The best way to avoid focusing on the net is to choose AF Spot mode, even then it will be tough.

p!nK
Yeah I had it in spot mode and I would compose the shot on the player then recompose for the final shot. It was just very hard to get the camera to "lock" on the white shirts. Next time I will try to lock on the helmet. The other problem was with a large aperture if the boys move forward in their swing the focus on them would be very soft. Thanks for the input.

I agree with taking it to portrait orientation.
This would be a good time to maybe try out manual focus. I mean if you know the distance of the kid you can focus in on him, and then shoot away, assuming he keeps the same distance. Stopping down your aperture will help with the thin focal plane issues a bit.

I like the shot though!

Manual focus is the ticket through a fence/net like this. But you might run into DOF problems at the larger aperture you were using to, quite successfully, blur the background.

In my opinion the timing of the image presented feels a little off. You caught him after he finished the majority of his swing. To me it might have been more successful if you had made the image as he was either poised to swing, capturing his tension and focus. Or perhaps mid swing at the moment where all the energy is released.

Like previously said if you shot vertical you would have got rid of the distractions and got the whole player. The shot has a good feel to it even though there are a couple mistakes.

Manual focus is the ticket through a fence/net like this. But you might run into DOF problems at the larger aperture you were using to, quite successfully, blur the background.

In my opinion the timing of the image presented feels a little off. You caught him after he finished the majority of his swing. To me it might have been more successful if you had made the image as he was either poised to swing, capturing his tension and focus. Or perhaps mid swing at the moment where all the energy is released.

I agree completely with this. Manual focus would be the key in this situation. Or even just use Spot focus to get perfect focus on the batter, then switch to manual so it doesn't re-adjust.

I like it. I agree that a portrait orientation would be a bit better.

Thanks for your input guys. I have some more shots from this practice session that have a much better feel. I will post them as soon as I get home from work. I will definitely try the manual focus next time.

Here's another one. I like it a little better. I will definitely use the manual focus the next time I try this shoot.

And here's probably one of my favorites.

Most reactions

Back