Google Chrome

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone checked it out yet? I downloaded it yesterday to play around with. It works nice. Very intuitive. It downloads your bookmarks from IE and automatically adds them for you. Seems to be very fast. Much faster than Firefox and IE. Also true to google's style it has very minimal extra fluff. All in all it's great so far! Anyone else played with it yet?:thumbup:

No, but after this new version of Firefox I'll check it out...

Chrome is ok.. I prefer Opera though.

I like the minimal extras, but it still feels kind of 'clunky'.

I just downloaded it when I saw this thread so far my review is "it WORKS and doesn't have too much $h1t to deal with." Would be nice if I could import my google bookmarks though I see that as a GLARING flaw but it IS only beta.

I find Chrome to be great for things like a laptop or a media PC, where you're not using the browser constantly, and will be great everywhere once there are some Gears mods for it.

For now, it's a superbly fast, light browser that I end up not using because Opera's featureset trumps it in every way except the aforementioned speed.

Speed is my main concern I find too many features just bogs you down.

I've been trying Chrome out. It's fast but it doesn't seem to be light on the computing. Last I checked, I had three separate applications (according to task manager) and they were all fairly large.

I don't like the spell checking, is doesn't recognize many of my misspellings and doesn't give me any options to fix it besides trying again...which is really stupid when I can't don't actually know the proper spelling. I'm sure this will get better after beta testing...but it's a real PITA.

It did import my bookmarks, but it messed up the order and resetting them is a PITA. It needs to be more user friendly for customization.

Like I said for a beta it works pretty well but there are some MAJOR flaws so far.

I've been trying Chrome out. It's fast but it doesn't seem to be light on the computing. Last I checked, I had three separate applications (according to task manager) and they were all fairly large.

I don't like the spell checking, is doesn't recognize many of my misspellings and doesn't give me any options to fix it besides trying again...which is really stupid when I can't don't actually know the proper spelling. I'm sure this will get better after beta testing...but it's a real PITA.

It did import my bookmarks, but it messed up the order and resetting them is a PITA. It needs to be more user friendly for customization.

It was released early, because an internal beta of it got leaked, and rather than play damage control, they decided to just announce it. I assume a lot of that sort of feature will improve dramatically. (spellcheck)

As for the processes, that's it's main selling point. It has a really low footprint on your system, so most of what you're seeing is the page itself, and by creating a process for every tab, it allows the browser to keep working even if a webpage is buggy and frozen

I like Google but I get the feeling that they are slowly turning into "Big Brother" and are walking the path of M$ in their dominance of the search market. They do make good stuff but how they handle your information (ie. never deleting a search that you make) makes me suspicious.

As for the processes, that's it's main selling point. It has a really low footprint on your system, so most of what you're seeing is the page itself, and by creating a process for every tab, it allows the browser to keep working even if a webpage is buggy and frozen
I thought it might have been something like that. But since I installed it, I've been hearing my HD grind away for extended periods of time while using it, which always makes me check the task manager to see what is going on.

I thought it might have been something like that. But since I installed it, I've been hearing my HD grind away for extended periods of time while using it, which always makes me check the task manager to see what is going on.

That's a bit odd...I wouldn't expect it to do any HD grinding...I'll have to see if it does the same thing to me when I get home... (work computer is constantly grinding)

Most reactions

Back