Google

its basically like google earth, you can zoom in and out on all the streets using satellite photos to completely map the entire world
or at least most of it

zoom in somewhere, click on a blue street. You are no longer looking down, you are standing in the street looking at peoples front doors, buildings, whatever. How much time would it have taken to take all those wide angle shots and then stitch them all together. I think its pretty cool. You can walk down just about any street in the world and take a look around.

How much time would it have taken to take all those wide angle shots and then stitch them all together.

One shall ask, one shall recieve! http://jalopnik.com/cars/goog-is-all-around/google-street-view-how-they-did-it-265092.php

"If you're like us, you've been playing with Google Maps Street View for the past week instead of working. But if you've also spent too many hours wondering, while picking lint off a throw pillow, how they created all those street-level panoramas, you might want to leave the day room for a few minutes. For much of it, you can thank Immersive Media, whose Beetle-mounted Dodeca camera provided the 360-degree shots. Arranged in a dodecahedron, the camera's 11 lenses and sensors produces 11 video streams of 100 million pixels per second. Pretty sneaky, goog."

not my website, just fyi.

It's really amazing stuff, but I fear our area won't be covered for some time.

I believe it uses different images than google earth tho. With google earth I can see my house, and cars on the road. With the google map one it's all covered by trees.

ya i just actually discovered what the street function was today
one of these days i'm gonna find someone standing outside their house

Not to sound like a member of the black helicopter (or Vauxhall) crowd, but is anyone a little concerned about thinks like this? I know it's all public, but still, something just doesn't sit right with me.

Wait...I hear something.......

Not to sound like a member of the black helicopter (or Vauxhall) crowd, but is anyone a little concerned about thinks like this? I know it's all public, but still, something just doesn't sit right with me.

Wait...I hear something.......

I noticed today that someone started a thread like this in another forum Im a member of, about some invasion of privacy crap. Really, is it any different to taking a photo in a street and sticking it on Flickr. I love this thing, Im not going to get much work done over the weekend.

Agreed.

IMO;

Getting older as I am I've seen some wonderful things happen with technology in my lifetime. I've also seen some ill-effects come of these wonderful things. Also, being older I've experienced how people look at some of these changes differently through their life and even go as far as to reverse opinions entirely upon the 'goodness' of these steps forward. With that in mind I feel I can safely say, you most likely have no idea what will be taken away from you in the future if you are not concerned with what is actually being done now.

I actually think it is fun.. until it gets too detailed around my house.

I do not want all the world see my car and where it is usually parked.

I recently spotted may parents car on one of these google-gadgets.

there are areas on this planet, which are excluded. some archaeological sites for example, military installations and the like.

you most likely have no idea what will be taken away from you in the future if you are not concerned with what is actually being done now.

What he said ^^^

by the way, recently i was in a building complex, which on google earth is just green woods all over. Even the roads were not there :p

Most reactions

Back