GoPro Chest Mount Question

WillygLounge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
willyglounge.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own a GoPro chest mount that I use for my hiking trip. I always run into the problem that the video being too shaky. Though I do understand there is no way to record a whole video 100% shaky free with this mount. However, is there a way I can reduce it so when I use dehsaker to process my videos, they will appear better?

I don't see a major way to stabilize a chest-mounted gopro without greatly changing your gait, which isn't going to be comfortable during a hike. You could try mounting it to your pack or something and it might improve a bit.

I don't see a major way to stabilize a chest-mounted gopro without greatly changing your gait, which isn't going to be comfortable during a hike. You could try mounting it to your pack or something and it might improve a bit.

Thanks for your suggestion. After so much frustration, I decided to use my Canon PowerShot SX50 HS to record most of the hike. When I'm setting up equipment, driving, climbing, walking in a stream and other activities, I use my GoPro.

It seems the suctions cup does a good job while driving. It rare the video is shaky and when it is, Deshaker will stabilized the video for me.

Well driving, the vehicles suspension is greatly smoothing out the shake as well. Walking is a whole different thing, as you're going to get a pretty good jolt with every step. A headlamp-type mount might reduce the shake a little as well, as the higher up you go on your body the movement from steps would be a little less noticeable.

I own a chest and head mount and found that the head mount is a lot less shaky.

Which GoPro do you have? If you have the GoPro Hero 3 Black you could record in 2.7K. This will give you a lot more room to work with to reduce the shakiness, while still having your output be a native 1080p.

Like Exco said, the helmet mount/view tends to be a lot smoother.

Which GoPro do you have? If you have the GoPro Hero 3 Black you could record in 2.7K. This will give you a lot more room to work with to reduce the shakiness, while still having your output be a native 1080p.

Like Exco said, the helmet mount/view tends to be a lot smoother.

I do own the Black edition. Thanks for your suggestion

I saw a video the other day on youtube. That guy makes tons of GoPro videos. He said if you can have something stationary in the frame it looks a lot more stable. For example on his head mount he gets the camera angles so the top of his helmet visor is in the shot. If you watch the same video with and without the helmet in the shot the one without looks more shakey. It's just an illusion but it helps. Not sure what you could use with the chest mount though that would be stationary in the shot.

I saw a video the other day on youtube. That guy makes tons of GoPro videos. He said if you can have something stationary in the frame it looks a lot more stable. For example on his head mount he gets the camera angles so the top of his helmet visor is in the shot. If you watch the same video with and without the helmet in the shot the one without looks more shakey. It's just an illusion but it helps. Not sure what you could use with the chest mount though that would be stationary in the shot.
I'd agree with that. A couple years ago when I first started using helmet cams I would try to keep the helmets out of frame. I no longer do that as it gives your eyes something to fix on.

Most reactions

Back