Got a chance to try out my 85mm f/1.8G today

1 and 4 are my favorites for sure! These are all great though, and that lens seems killer!

Using the image of the bird from post #10, I cropped to a portrait orientation with the bird positioned in the lower right intersection (RoT) and it seemed to flow much better.

Thats not bad at all, do you happen to have the link? Ive been looking into an 85mm 1.8g and an 85mm 1.8d, do you know what the difference is?

The G series lenses lost the aperture ring and from what I hear have slightly better optics. My Lens was bought by auction, so the link is no longer active. I'm sure you can find another deal.

Thanks man, I appreciate the help, keep up the good work.

Using the image of the bird from post #10, I cropped to a portrait orientation with the bird positioned in the lower right intersection (RoT) and it seemed to flow much better.

Thanks! I went ahead and did this crop. A portrait orientation didn't even cross my mind while editing.

Thanks! I went ahead and did this crop. A portrait orientation didn't even cross my mind while editing.
Something to keep in mind while you're still in the begining stage of the learning curve..... when you take a shot, immediately turn the camera 90° and take another. It will get you in the habit to recognize subjects and how they fit the frame. When I saw the image in post #10, I knew straight away that a portrait orientation would be best because of the shape of the nest and the bird (subject) was at the bottom of the frame. If you could've waited around and gotten a shot with the bird's head outside of the nest and looking about, all the better.

Something to keep in mind while you're still in the begining stage of the learning curve..... when you take a shot, immediately turn the camera 90° and take another. It will get you in the habit to recognize subjects and how they fit the frame. When I saw the image in post #10, I knew straight away that a portrait orientation would be best because of the shape of the nest and the bird (subject) was at the bottom of the frame. If you could've waited around and gotten a shot with the bird's head outside of the nest and looking about, all the better.

I actually do use this technique while shooting portraiture, It was nailed into my head by an old mentor I had right out of HS. But in this particular situation, I had my girl on my left arm lol and she was determined to fix my exposure and clean the front element, I did get a few of mom looking outside the nest, but of course I missed focus... I hope to go back soon, maybe with a few photo buddies. I don't much like the idea behind zoos, but they are really fun to shoot.

Most reactions

Back