Got a question for you Canadians, éh

I'm still in denial about the whole Wendy's/Timmy thing...... I just want to know what they put in their cups since I usually just get tea and it still tastes better than other places.

I miss Mr C's donuts...and they had Pacman arcade tables too.

I'm still in denial about the whole Wendy's/Timmy thing...... I just want to know what they put in their cups since I usually just get tea and it still tastes better than other places.

I miss Mr C's donuts...and they had Pacman arcade tables too.

Yeah, what's up with Timmy's?! They come down here and take away my Wendy's. Freakin' dammit Tim Horton, you jerk, I love Wendy's. Now I have to drive thirty minutes to get a damn non-frozen burger. Shenanigans!

Hard to beat Krispy Kreme when the HOT light is on for doughnuts.

Are you talking about Wendy's, the home of the square burger with a red-headed, freckled-faced icon? Not my cup of tea.

Is there a typical Canadian meal? I'm sure this varies from region to region, just curious. Your bacon is tasty, but as usual, (we) Yanks tend to bastardize any ethnic food to suit the American palate. Now I'm getting hungry!

I always have difficulty coming up with something that's 'typically Canadian' for a meal, as it's either something very Quebecois (like sugar pie, poutine etc) or something that's just as commonly found in the US (like seafood from our coasts, Arctic char from up north, grilled meats etc). Even maple syrup is readily available in parts of the US.

We have some good Canadian cheeses, the Canadian bacon etc. So when I have guests I tend to feed 'em pancakes/french toast with maple syrup and Canadian bacon as a Canadian brekkie, French Canadian Pea Soup and a grilled cheese sandwich as a lunch, and grill up filet mignon steaks and some seafood for a 'Canadian' dinner. And take 'em to Tim Hortons for a coffee sometime during their visit. If other Canadians have suggestions for 'typical Canadian fare', I'd love to hear it.

Edit: while I typed all that out, I see Peanuts posted some suggestions.

A nice thick plate of poutine

Huh? 'splain please. That one is new to me.

We have some good Canadian cheeses.....French Canadian Pea Soup and a grilled cheese sandwich as a lunch.....

I l-o-v-e cheesees (the plural doesn't look right?) especially sharp and mature (much like myself....thanks for asking) I'm pretty good with most any soup and do you put tomato on and then press your cheese sandwiches? Yummmmm.

Poutine originates somewhere in Quebec but it is a combination of french fries with cheese melted on top with gravy (ignore the picture on wikipedia which makes it look like... well honestly I don't know what, but disgusting). After a long day of snowboarding, all I can tell you is poutine is a God-send... sooo good.

Oh, thought of another one....Beaver Tails after skating or skiing! (It's a deepfried dough item, kinda like a doughnut and waffle cross, and can be covered with different toppings. The traditional sugar and cinnamon is wonderful)

Kundalini - our cheddars are pretty darn good. The pressed version of the grilled cheese sandwich, with tomato, is always an option..

Yeah, what's up with Timmy's?! They come down here and take away my Wendy's. Freakin' dammit Tim Horton, you jerk, I love Wendy's. Now I have to drive thirty minutes to get a damn non-frozen burger. Shenanigans!

It's actually the super secret invasion plan..... set up Timmy's, Canucks will follow... I think that's as far as we've plotted though ;) Tell you what, give us one of the smaller Hawaiian islands and we'll put back all the Wendy's.

Getting hungry just thinking about poutine :drool:.... if you go to Montreal kundalini, it's the bees knees.

Oh, I may have to send a care package back home on my visit. In general, it's difficult to find a cheese here that isn't so homogenized where all the flavour hasn't been removed. The score marks only add to the taste.

A good charp cheddar, some biscuits and add that with a nice pipe of port and we're in heaven.

I'm a huge fan of gravy, but on fries? I dunno, but as the saying goes "when in Rome....."

Beaver Tails? Now that's just too easy, innit.

Tell you what, give us one of the smaller Hawaiian islands and we'll put back all the Wendy's.

Hang onto Wendy's mate. You've got the Melville Islands as well. What more do you want?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back