got any mind candy?

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
got a vaca coming up, havent had time to read for pleasure in many weeks. i intend to get a good read and do some relaxing, but no titles come to mind.

i'd really love to find something that reads like historical fiction, maybe having to do with a famous photographer...

but, not tied to this theme. some good mind candy would be nice- haven't read any science fiction in years and would be into something from this genre, i think.

not into present day themes- i'm trying to avoid sensory overload from the world stage as it is.

any suggestions?

Hmm, historical fiction's not exactly my schtick, so I'll waive my rights on that one. For good sci-fi, I like Clarke a lot--very realistic, but yet obviously fiction. I'm toying with the idea of starting through the 2001 series again. I've also recently discovered Greg Iles and David Lindsey, but they're both writing about pretty contemporary issues (they both remind me a bit of Dan Brown).

You guys got spring break coming up yet? That's late! We had ours last week and I thought we were late!

i'm not sure if it really fits into either of those topics, but House of leaves by Mark Z danielewski is an amazing book

Hi Osmer_Toby,

I while back I read 'Pastwatch' by Orson Scott Card. It's a combination of Sci-fi and Historical Fiction, so it might be right up your alley. I enjoyed it.

In my current state i read the title as "got any mindy candy? "
Oh boy

lol. sorry, but there is no way in hell i can let that one go by...
like asking a moth to avoid a candle flame...

so, i wonder, what kind of candy would mindy candy be?
hmmmm..... :twisted:

You guys got spring break coming up yet? That's late! We had ours last week and I thought we were late!

ya, doesn't start til a week from today...

tammy- i love o.s.c.- havent read him for years. is that title new? if not, i probably read it already, but so long ago i could probably enjoy reading it again.

House of leaves by Mark Z danielewski
what is the premise of this story? anything along the lines of Cider House Rules? (a must read, btw, for any true democrat...)

I believe it came out in 2001.

haven't read cider house rules
house of leaves has several story line
one is about a documentary about this house that can change its deminsions

then theres a story of a guy who wrote a book about this movie

then theres a story of a guy reading that book

the 3 story line switch around and sort of interweave. Its really hard to explain the beauty of the book. Danielewski plays w/ the form of the words on the page (upside down, only a few words per page, different shapes, etc)

Danielewski plays w/ the form of the words on the page (upside down, only a few words per page, different shapes, etc)

hmm. sounds alot like e e cummings...

Can I do this?.... I'm going off topic - Hope you don't mind.

Two of my favorite Cummings pieces followed by one of mine which was inspired by the second.

1(a

1(a

le
af
fa
ll

s)
one
l

iness

i like my body when it is with your

i like my body when it is with your
body. It is so quite a new thing.
Muscles better and nerves more.
i like your body. i like what it does,
i like its hows. i like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones, and the trembling
-firm-smooth ness and which i will
again and again and again
kiss, i like kissing this and that of you,
i like,, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
over parting flesh....And eyes big love-crumbs,

and possibly i like the thrill

of under me you quite so new

i do not like our bodies

i do not like our bodies
yours or mine
until i watch them intertwine

and then i like them fine.

if mindy was a candy, i believe she would be REDHOTS

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

md

You might want to check out The Anubus Gates by Tim Powers. Tim creates a time-travel tale around historically accurate, if conflicting, facts concerning Lord Byron. His Declare is also superb. It's a cold-war spy thriller that uses Arabian magic to explain some strange matters-of-record involving Soviet double agent Kim Philby.

Most reactions

Back