Got my D90! House burgled within a day!

Mbnmac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, title says it all, I finally get my camera, then within 24 hours we were robbed. If this isn't the appropriate forum, mods please move the thread!
Thankfully I was out with the camera when it happened, lost a lot of stuff, but what really pisses me off?

They took the charger for my new D90.

I mean, that just sucks.

They also took my wife's laptop, and BOTH our external drives with backups (luckily this comp has all originals on it)

So, to start the discussion, what photo gear have you lost to theft?

Ooh so sorry! That is my worst nightmare, I can't understand who people can be so awful to steal not just your possessions but your memories too.

you got lucky that you had your laptop with you. Here's another example of why off site backup of your photos is absolutely necessary! Mozy, jungle disk, whatever. get them out of your house!

Call it extreme, but thieves should have their hands cut off. Hell of a deterrent. Lucky for me I've never had any photo equipment stolen (knock on wood) though I have been robbed before. Fortunately, I was able to retaliate (long story..)
And I agree that off-site backups are a wise investment.

How many people did you tell that you had a new camera ? bit of a coincidence that your place was robbed the day after

Nobody really.
Some people at work knew my mother was coming (and brining the camera) but none of them would be suspect.

Honestly, quite possibly the people out the back of us, or someone they know. Only way to see into the living room where most of the stuff was is by walking up the drive to the back house there. And people always stare in etc.

it's sad but not the end of the world, they weren't targeting the camera, they just took a whole bunch of chargers on the off chance it seems.

I recently had my XTi "stolen."

I was over in the Middle East, using Jordan as a home base. I crossed into Palestine for a few days, taking shots of Jerusalem, Ramallah, Nablus, etc. I didn't take my computer with me as I was staying in hostels.

I crossed the border back into Jordan, hired a driver there to take me to my apartment. We got there and he tried ripping me off. We were standing in the street exchanging some choice words. He jumped in his car and drove off, at which point I realized my camera was still sitting on the seat. The next morning I got a ride back to the border and found the guy, but he obviously claimed he never saw my camera. I offered to pay him for the memory card and let him keep the camera, that didn't work. Tried some good ol' intimidation, no luck with that either. He must have already sold it...

Though never really stoken, I;ve lost lots of accessories after shooting at various locations. Most of the time at concerts and such live events. Stuff like tripods, lens caps, power adaptors. Of course these were all my own fault. Really feel for your lost bro.

nothing has ever been stolen from me, but i know it can be a terrifying experience, id be devastated. i have my nikon d3000, ps3, xbox, my tv and computer, guitar and guitar equipment, phone, ipod.

were you able to get anything back or for insurance to cover any of the stolen items?

Insurance should cover everything, but gotta wait till sat this week till we can push the claim through

Call it extreme, but thieves should have their hands cut off. Hell of a deterrent. Lucky for me I've never had any photo equipment stolen (knock on wood) though I have been robbed before. Fortunately, I was able to retaliate (long story..)
And I agree that off-site backups are a wise investment.

What, are you an ancient mesopotamian??

One of the disadvantages in living in a detached house or townhouse. Even if I can afford living in them, I prefer to live in an apartment. Lots of cops. And it has security surveillance. I might be living in an apartment the rest of my life. Life is beautiful. (nothing derogatory).

My neighbor cops are nice. I had a drinking spree with one of them one night. I told him that "I am waiting for you (him) to die". He asked me why. I replied "So that I can have your wife". Of course he got mad. But he cannot arrest or sue me civilly. I was not alienating him from his wife. I just told him what was on my mind. We were really drunk that night inside his house.

Last edited:
Secure your house, own a large well-trained dog, have a son living at home who is built like a brick wall and you will likely have few issues with theft..

skieur

Most reactions

Back