Got my first set of lights NEED HELP! LOL

Kimberly81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok I am slowly gaining equipment here and I have purchased 2 soft boxes because I do indoor headshots for models and pageant contestants and not having a studio and shooting alot in hotels on location, I have limited work space. Sooooo, I would love some C&C on these first few pics i have taken with my lights. I already know the obvious that there are some really blown out places, but I almost think it adds to the black and whites LOL maybe it doesn't, anyway, any ideas or setting suggestions on how I can improve with my meager setup? I have a nikon D40 with kit lens and 2 soft boxes with a reflector. In the black and whites I used ONE soft box to add some drama and contrast to the photos. Please politely C&C me baby!

A
3321984008_e52fa34caf.jpg

B
3321983904_f16d6c129a.jpg

C
3321983766_5258b5e01c.jpg

D
3321152427_88edd079d8.jpg

E
3321983658_40cc185659.jpg

With out knowing what your looking for here's a couple suggestions based on what I'm seeing. You could try to add one of the lights as just a fill when your side lighting with the key. Just bring Up those shadows a bit not enough to make them disappear just a bit , make them a bit less harsh. You might want to try taking both soft boxes and putting them on either side of the subject and just play with the ratios see what you get. You might want to try a soft box from roughly right above your head pointed at the subject with a good size white card on the ground.
Just a few real loose suggestions to play with.
Good Luck.
Photoworkshop

Thanks for responses guys! I have also given up on the D40 and purchased an XSi. My friend has one and her photos are so much more crisp than mine no matter what I do. There is only so much sharpening you can do in PP until it starts to look bad so I am hoping my new camera will do the trick.

Well, XSI is just a lateral move. YOu should look at a good portrait lens instead.

Most reactions

Back