Got my new lens today. Sigma 20mm f1.8

shorty6049

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I finally got my new lens today, heres a picture of it... sadly, i'm already thinking of selling it though. Its not really that wide, and honestly it doesnt feel that fast either. Maybe i was expecting too much., I dont know. I'd like to get a sigma 10-20mm f-4.5-5.6 , anyone have any thoughts on this?

DSCF0145.jpg

I've been eyeing that lens for a while but I haven't heard from anyone who actually has one. It's a full frame lens isn't' it? So it would be really wide on a film camera or full frame digital SLR.

How is it for sharpness & contrast etc (general image quality)?

i took a few pictures with it earlier, its pretty sharp at f8 but surprisingly isnt really that good at 1.8, which i guess i sort of expected from this lens... i'll post some crops and stuff for you. and yeah, i'm pretty sure its a full frame because it supposedly has a 94 degree angle of view, and you can only get that on a full frame camera

i feel like maybe its just not focusing on the things i want it to focus on... because there's usually a sharp spot at f1.8, but its pretty small, and everything aroudn it gets sort of hazy as you move toward the out of focus area

It does create some cool effects though... Its unusual to see a lens this wide with such a narrow field of view...
tictacs.jpg

I've decided to post crops and all that in my blog instead, that way i can get a review written and everything at the same time. what kind of camera do you have big mike?

kyle, its not a very good day for shooting here, but i'll put up a couple more i took with it, i need a better day, the sky looks like a gray card...

kyle, its not a very good day for shooting here, but i'll put up a couple more i took with it, i need a better day, the sky looks like a gray card...

so just white balance off the sky and snap some shots. shouldn't matter how cloudy with a 1.8 aperture :p

yeah, but its just really REALLY flat light, i mean, seriously there's no texture in the clouds today whatsoever, i have another class at 1:30-4, but i'm going to upload a couple right now.

yeah, but its just really REALLY flat light, i mean, seriously there's no texture in the clouds today whatsoever, i have another class at 1:30-4, but i'm going to upload a couple right now.

awesome, looking forward to it.

Obviously if you're really not happy then it has to go, but I would allow a bit of time to experiment with it first... most f/1.8 lenses won't be at their best wide-open; however it does allow you to shoot at that aperture, and by the time you get to say f/4 it should definitely be performing better than an f/4 zoom at the same aperture. I suspect with a f/4.5-5.6 you'd generally want to shoot beyond f/8, so clearly that would be a much slower lens.

yeah, i am definately going to play with it more, i just sort of feel like i wasted my money buying a lens that falls within the range of the stock lens, but of course its a lot better of a lens than the stock lens.... i have to decide if buying the 10-20 will be worth it or not.... maybe i'll just save up and keep both...

here we go-

nerds.jpg

face.jpg

3 (HDR, take it or leave it)
tree-11.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back