Got my new nifty, er... 35 ;)

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 for my D40, yesterday! :) Initial impressions are pretty good:
  • It's a little bigger than I expected, but by no means a huge lens (I'm lookin' at you, Sigma)
  • It fits very snugly to the lens mount, much tighter than any of my other lenses (see signature)
  • Sharp with good bokeh wide open. Bokeh is much better wide open than the 50mm f/1.8. The 50/1.8 needs to be stopped down to about f/2.8 before the bokeh loses it's defined edges. I'd say it's a bit sharper wide open on the 35mm as well.
  • AF-S is fast and quiet, as expected
  • Has some minor barrel distortion, but seems easily correctable.
  • Has some very defined flaring at several apertures (more obvious wide open), but this isn't a lens I'll be pointing into the sun anyway.
Sample time! :)

And, yes, I bought these yesterday, too (not taken with the 35/1.8) ...

(please pardon the crappy cloning job)

Yesterday was an expensive day for me :boggled:

awesome!!

I just got my shipping confirmation from Amazon today as well, I pre-ordered on 2/9!!

Should be here tomorrow - so stoked.

Was at Ritz today mucking around with a D90 - it's next on my list to exploit the speed of this new DX lens. . .

Nice pics!!

Just got mine too. I ordered it for my wife's D60 and so I could use it on my D300. So far i love it. Also the pic's lie it came with a metal base!!!!! Not a plastic one as in the picture!

Can I ask what made you go with this?

I like the 50 1.4 G much better for the extra ?stop? and quality, it would be interesting to see a head to head.

Can I ask what made you go with this?
It's nearly equivalent to 50mm on an 35mm frame, that's what attracted me to it.

Also the pic's lie it came with a metal base!!!!! Not a plastic one as in the picture!
Actually, it's just because of the angle that the pictures are taken it. The little bit of the mount end that the photos actually show is, indeed, plastic, but the rest of the mount is metal.

To be perfectly honest, I am actually questioning this purchase already.:confused:

Maybe it's just that my style is tighter framing, but I'm not finding this "normal" field of view to be particularly useful. I have a 50/1.8 as well and I have used the 50 much more often.

I like the 50 1.4 G much better for the extra ?stop? and quality,
f/1.4 is only 2/3rds of a stop faster than f/1.8. I haven't handled the 50/1.4G, but I'm pretty sure quality is about the same. This 35/1.8 is a solid little lens.

It's nearly equivalent to 50mm on an 35mm frame, that's what attracted me to it.

Actually, it's just because of the angle that the pictures are taken it. The little bit of the mount end that the photos actually show is, indeed, plastic, but the rest of the mount is metal.

To be perfectly honest, I am actually questioning this purchase already.:confused:

Maybe it's just that my style is tighter framing, but I'm not finding this "normal" field of view to be particularly useful. I have a 50/1.8 as well and I have used the 50 much more often.

f/1.4 is only 2/3rds of a stop faster than f/1.8. I haven't handled the 50/1.4G, but I'm pretty sure quality is about the same. This 35/1.8 is a solid little lens.

I started questioning the purpose of the purchase of the lens as well.

I think for those with a 50 1.4G, it's questionable, depending on your style.

It is indeed a metal base, has rubber sealing, and is conveniently accepting of 52mm filters. . .

Here are some pics of it (taken with the 50 1.4G) and then pics taken by it (of my new 7 million dollar home - which I will rant about later!):
494753160_wwHHy-M.jpg

494753534_AmhZb-M.jpg

and some examples taken with the 35mm 1.8:
494753729_fMhtF-M-1.jpg

494754133_RMFgQ-M-1.jpg

and my new home for goodies. . .
494754392_RPCxZ-M-1.jpg

494752803_huceB-M.jpg

no one ever mentions that there are these cool little black loops in the sides of the bag, work perfect for toting around my lil' tripod and lowepro case!
494754658_Q8GCv-M.jpg

SO MUCH room to grow in, but for now, I can hold both bodies, 1 flash, 2 primes, and 2 zooms. . .

For me i got the 35mm for my wifes d60, and i am sure i will use it here and there i wanted the AF-S 50mm 1.4 but it is way more expensive! This will round out my wife's kit well. She now has a 18-55mm VR(wide zoom), 55-200mm VR(the Tele) and the 35mm (nifty 50 equivalent). And in my sig you can see what i have i just need a wide zoom (thinking the 16-85) and i will get a wide prime as well and alot more flashes!!!!! (i am getting addicted to studio shots and 2 flashes arn't cutting it!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back