Got my new XSI, have a question...

paulpippin29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok folks, looking for more help here, which I always recieve from all of you, and thank you in advance for that.

This might be a really silly, stupid question, but, here we go...

A while back, when all I had was my Canon A590 IS P&S camera, I took some pictures of the sun. The camera was set to shoot in "LiveView", and I aimed directly at the sun, using the body of the camera to prevent my eyes from being blown out :)

I really enjoyed these photos, as they came out so nicely I thought. I loved the way they looked. Streams of light everywhere, which just made for a really nice effect.

So, now, I've just recieved my XSI as of yesterday, and I'm full of questions, but, I'll only focus on one topic/question here.

After carefully reading the manual that came with my XSI, I've discovered more than one warning about shooting directly at the sun. Should I not have done that with my old P & S? Is it certainly NOT safe to do, or are there ways around it, particularly, accessories that would protect the lense?

The A590 handled it just fine, or seemed to anyway, as I noticed no problems after the sun shots, though I am aware, that I'm dealing with a radically different camera now.

I was only able to afford the camera with "kit" lense, which is the 18-55mm, as you all know. I was originally going to buy the camera with kit lense, plus, the EF 1.4, but, bills popped up that I didn't think would, and had to get just the camera with one lense.

I bought a small accessorie kit for the camera as well, which came with a very nice Canon camera bag, a second LP-E5 battery, and a Canon 58MM UV Filter.

Would this filter prevent damage from the sun when aiming directly at it? I've NOT aimed at the sun at all since owning the XSI, and having read this warning in the manual, and don't plan on doing so at all, ever, until I hear from any of you on this forum.

Sun shots are really appealing to me though, and I've love to figure out a way to do it without damaging my lense or camera. Can it be done with the XSI and it's available lenses? Is there a lense that can shoot the sun without damage?

It will not hurt the camera, unless you do a really long exposure. The warning is there for the morons who look at the sun through the optical viewfinder. Otherwise, you are fine.

Thanks so much for your quick response Alex, it's greatly appreciated. I feel much better about doing future shots of the sun now :) Thanks again my friend.

Well alex coleman, i shoot sun sets/rises all the time through the VF, works fine, its hard to see the exposure meter after composing the picture, but it's fine.

You can use the Live View, but you have to be in one of the creative modes i believe. plus, it drains the battery quite quickly

Most reactions

New Topics

Back