Government Security !!!

Pirate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm from NW Indiana and just had to pass on the story I read in the newspaper this a.m. Apparently a man and his 6 year old son were in Hammond In. Now the paper describes this guy as a world traveller, who has photographed around the world, including Washington D.C. he decided that while in Hammond he would snap some shots of the new federal building there. He was stopped by fed security who told him that it is illegal to shoot any government building at any time. He told them that he had done photos of many federal buildings across the country. They informed him that they would confiscate his camera if he continued. Never heard anything like this before, just thought that I would pass it on to you folks.

But it's OK for them ( the government ) to sell postcards of the buildings that you want to take a picture of !? You know, even though I'm pushing 50, I clearly remember when people had rights. Perhaps some of the younger generation on this site can remember as well.

you can take pictures of the white house..... that is retarded i would've told to government offical to stick it. But then again i am young and rebelious ? if he was not on private property then he can photograph any thing he wants by the way i understand it. if he was inside of it that might make a big difference

This topic has been widely discussed here and on every other photography forum for the last 6 years.

In almost all cases, the photographer is in the right and the security are overstepping their authority. However, there is little to be gained by causing a fuss when confronted...they can still make things overly inconvenient for you, if you push them to it. The usual advice it to just pack up and move on.

This story appearing in the paper is good. The more exposure this issue gets, the better.

Most reactions

Back