Graduated ND Filter - Which one?

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking of picking up some Graduated ND Filters for landscape photography to get some more vibrant skies, I am looking at the LEE range Lee Filters Neutral Density Graduated Filters but they are quite pricey, I was wondering. Are there similar ones of same quality (I want a square block like those so I can choose the amount as opposed to a lens filter) for a cheaper price? If not, what one should I get? Since I haven't used one before I'm not sure how many stops down I want, what would be a common good one to use?

I thought CPL polarizing filters were for vibrant skies?

They can help glare, but if you're shooting a sunset and you're getting an uneven exposure (bright top, dark bottom) Grad ND can help a lot.

Good lord, I was having that problem.. I know what filter I'm getting next !

Here's an example for Kofman
3185144699_465d77c7e0.jpg
WEB_a_trees_shadow.jpg

(not my pictures, just pulled them off of google)

CPL filters are the tool that is generally understood to make skies more vibrant. Though, because GND filters are able to selectively hold back light, they can produce a balanced photograph where vibrant color and detail in the sky is not lost in the process of properly exposing the foreground.

Technically, they don't make the skies more vibrant... but by optimizing exposure they may allow you to better preserve the vibrance & detail that is already there.

Are there similar ones of same quality (I want a square block like those so I can choose the amount as opposed to a lens filter) for a cheaper price? If not, what one should I get? Since I haven't used one before I'm not sure how many stops down I want, what would be a common good one to use?
I've always used Cokin GNDs, so I can't really say how they compare to Lee filters in terms of quality. Nonetheless, they've worked out rather well and helped me tackle shots that I couldn't have otherwise.

I carry three of them around with me... an ND2, ND4, and ND8. I've found that I use the darker ND8 more than any of the others. In fact, in certain situations, I've even stacked the ND8 / ND4 or the ND8 / ND2. I don't recommend that technique (it doesn't work too well), though if you can find a darker filter than the ND8, I'd recommend buying that, as well. The ND2, while not entirely unused, is so light that its effect can be matched merely by a polarizer in many situations.

I think Cokins cost somewhere between $20 and $25 each, just for reference. Not sure how much the Lee filters go for. If I recall correctly, three Cokin GNDs and the lens-mounted holder cost me something like $75.

CPL filters are the tool that is generally understood to make skies more vibrant. Though, because GND filters are able to selectively hold back light, they can produce a balanced photograph where vibrant color and detail in the sky is not lost in the process of properly exposing the foreground.

Technically, they don't make the skies more vibrant... but by optimizing exposure they may allow you to better preserve the vibrance & detail that is already there.

Are there similar ones of same quality (I want a square block like those so I can choose the amount as opposed to a lens filter) for a cheaper price? If not, what one should I get? Since I haven't used one before I'm not sure how many stops down I want, what would be a common good one to use?
I've always used Cokin GNDs, so I can't really say how they compare to Lee filters in terms of quality. Nonetheless, they've worked out rather well and helped me tackle shots that I couldn't have otherwise.

I carry three of them around with me... an ND2, ND4, and ND8. I've found that I use the darker ND8 more than any of the others. In fact, in certain situations, I've even stacked the ND8 / ND4 or the ND8 / ND2. I don't recommend that technique (it doesn't work too well), though if you can find a darker filter than the ND8, I'd recommend buying that, as well. The ND2, while not entirely unused, is so light that its effect can be matched merely by a polarizer in many situations.

I think Cokins cost somewhere between $20 and $25 each, just for reference. Not sure how much the Lee filters go for. If I recall correctly, three Cokin GNDs and the lens-mounted holder cost me something like $75.

Thanks for that, are they all Grad grey filters? I live in the UK where did you purchase them from?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
get a Cokin P series set. they are frequently out of stock though. You need to get the adapter for whatever diameter of thread your lens has. I bought two grad filters and the holder and adapter for 77M for lik 60 bucks i think. They typically have the individuals in stock. Just not the sets.

http://www.adorama.com/CKNDKP.html

Sorry for double post but with polarising filters, what would be the difference in quality between an expensive one and say http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/77mm-Double-T...Filters_JN&hash=item53db04c7d0#ht_3970wt_1137
I'm leaning towards the cheaper one at the moment

better effect ( usually ) and better glass. I had cheap ones and just got a B&W midlevel that was a little over 100 I think. dont want a cheap filter on my L glass.

Have you noticed a vast difference?

Also, here's a scenario, polarising filters stop down light similar to ND filters I'm reading. Let's say it's sunset, or a sunny evening on the beach and you're doing a shoot with a model. You're using a speedlight as basic fill to bring her out instead of having her as a silhouette. You're loving the effect the polarising filter is having on the sky as well, but it's stopping it down to much and effecting the speedlight (not enough power to bring her out in the required shutter speed) or there's too much ghosting. Do they do a clear polarising filter that won't effect light levels?

Sorry for double post but with polarising filters, what would be the difference in quality between an expensive one and say 77mm Double Thread Circular Polarising Filter lens uk on eBay (end time 13-Sep-10 09:17:09 BST)
I'm leaning towards the cheaper one at the moment

better effect ( usually ) and better glass. I had cheap ones and just got a B&W midlevel that was a little over 100 I think. dont want a cheap filter on my L glass.

Have you noticed a vast difference?

Also, here's a scenario, polarising filters stop down light similar to ND filters I'm reading. Let's say it's sunset, or a sunny evening on the beach and you're doing a shoot with a model. You're using a speedlight as basic fill to bring her out instead of having her as a silhouette. You're loving the effect the polarising filter is having on the sky as well, but it's stopping it down to much and effecting the speedlight (not enough power to bring her out in the required shutter speed) or there's too much ghosting. Do they do a clear polarising filter that won't effect light levels?

The colors change because of the light levels. Just like underexposing. The real benefit is the reflection control. Thats why a graduated ND can have a similar effect. It darkens the light and in turn the color, but its mainly used for exposure balance. a non graduated ND cuts the light for longer exposures in bright light or to use wide apertures in bright light. Think of an ND filter as sort of the opposite of you turning up the ISO if that helps. makes the sensor LESS sensetive ( well not really but the same effect as if it did )

not sure if its the filter or better lens in terms of clarity but the effect is better than my old sunpak.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back