Graduated ND-filter

caled0n

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have read this article
Mmm

The author says that in addition to a regular ND-filter, one could use a "two-stop (0.6) soft-edged graduate" to darken skies and lighten foreground.

Does he mean one of these?
graduated nd filter 0.6 77mm | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Those are graduated ND filters and they will do the job, BUT the problem with screw-on ND filters is that they always put the graduation directly in the centre of the lens, which isn't always where you want it. For G-NDs, I always recommend a gel-style filter such as these Cokin filters (Note: I've linked to the listing just to illustrate the type of filters, those are 'Z' size for medium-format cameras; you likely need either 'A' or 'P' size, depending on your lenses). With these, you can slide the filter up or down in the holder, and angle the graduation any way you want. If you buy them from eBay READ THE LISTING VERY CAREFULLY - there are hundreds like this one. Did you see the difference (besides the price)? It says "For Cokin system". That means that these are cheap knock-offs and will likely be worse than no filters at all.

Having said all of that, Cokin filters aren't the best; they are known for producing a slight to moderate red cast when shooting into or near the sun, but this is easily controlled or eliminated by shading the filter (I have an 8x10 piece of matte-black "fun foam" from Wal-mart that I use). If you have a little more in the budget, than look to the top brands like Lee and Singh-Ray.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back