Graffiti - Art, Social Commentary or Eyesore?

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I do not have (generally) a good opinion of graffiti. One of my hip daughters (eh, they're all hip) tells me it is social commentary and street art. Maybe. Maybe not.

However, I was driving through an old industrial section next to the Lachine Canal, and decided to detour to an area that I've seen from an overpass, but never up close. So decided to explore.
No need for heat - it was hot enough, and besides "heat" is illegal here. And this is Montreal, pretty safe unless you happen to be an unlucky Chinese student.

But I digress. So driving down one street, lined with old industrial buildings in various states of disrepair, and past many examples of the psychological vomit called graffiti, I came upon a warehouse covered with images. I will share four with you, and you can let me know your opinion.
$Graffiti_1_8136.JPG
$Graffiti_2_8138.JPG
$Graffiti_3_8145.JPG
$Graffiti_4_8146.JPG

What you posted is not graffiti. I mean it may be on a wall but was clearly done during the day with the approval of law enforcement.

I would say it is more art then anything else.

Yeah, the first and last photos in particular are definitely NOT simple graffiti.
Personally, I am NOT a fan of graffiti--even the stuff like what is on either side of that third photo (mostly because once THAT stuff is there, the other more vulgar, darker, uglier stuff tends to show up as well).

But the first and last--and probably to at least some degree, the second (though I can't quite figure it out--it may look better in person)--in my opinion, those are a vast improvement over the ugly expanse of concrete one would otherwise be looking at.

I would say some very skilled and imaginative artists took a lot of time to construct each one of those works, yet they will go unnoticed.

It's unfortunate, because art is generally not constructed or demonstrated on the large scale as some street art pieces are.

It may not be an easily accessible artform, but I can recognize talent when I see it it. Thanks for sharing.

Graffiti or Street Art? Depends on what you want to see. I'm a genuine fan of street art. Anything that can make me smile or make me think about something I wouldn't have otherwise while I'm on the way to work is a good thing.

This though? Kinda borderline in my eyes. Talented? Sure...but I don't really get any kind of message from it.

If you are the one who owns the space that gets the treatment without your permission you would consider it vandalism.

Too bad they cannot find a better medium to get their art seen.

Tony S said:
If you are the one who owns the space that gets the treatment without your permission you would consider it vandalism.

Too bad they cannot find a better medium to get their art seen.

As a medium, I would say the street is an excellent venue to get their art "seen."

I like grafiti when its done with talent, and i would consider it art when done well. sad part is the majority of it is done with people with no talent who do it simply to deface property. hard to question what was done legally or illegally but the last one being for epic mealtime i would say that was probalby a purchased piece.

I find McMansions an eyesore, especially when they are in beautiful natural areas. Does that mean that they are not houses?

Aesthetic appeal does not affect function.

It's all harmless social commentary until it happens to your property. Lol.

That's some pretty great talent though.

I do think there is a big difference between graffiti and graffiti art. Both are vandalism, but there is no way you can comapare BANSKY with your run of the mill street gang tags.

I like the illegal **** the most. Where crazy ****ers climb on top of buildings or highway signs and put awesome artwork up.

I decided to look up the place I found the graffiti in Google's Streetview, (see: <iframe width="700" height="394" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="Google Maps /><small><a href="Google Maps" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small> ), and discovered that the wall is changing, in that the images I took this past week were different from what was there in Streetview.

(to the moderators/administrators: If the link does not work, please feel free to modify it or even delete it - pgriz)

So, these images are sanctioned, and since none are cross-tagged, there appears to be enough respect for the images for them to be left alone. If you plop yourself into Streetview, and explore that area, you'll find lots more. However, certain buildings in the same area are completely clean.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back