Gramma's Rock Collection

Rock14Post.jpg

So I got out my 750,000,000mm lens and focused it on Mars...........

Rock15Post.jpg

Ok, we know you're lying because Mars is on the other side of the sun right now. Not to mention the many sharp edges that are in your image - those are all ground down on Mars by the winds. But the reds look authentic.

The textures in these are really cool!

I ditto the previous comment about seeing these rocks in their entirety.
The close ups are really nice, but I'd like to see more of the actual rock.

Ok, we know you're lying because Mars is on the other side of the sun right now. Not to mention the many sharp edges that are in your image - those are all ground down on Mars by the winds. But the reds look authentic.

Oh is that why? I though we knew he was kidding bc be said he had a 750,000,000mm lens ;)

Oh is that why? I though we knew he was kidding bc be said he had a 750,000,000mm lens ;)

Oh yes, we knew. Just because the support stand for a 750,000,000mm lens is kinda amazing in its own way, and being a f/0.95 pancake lens, it means that sparky has the world's most interesting camera. Nothing works with jokes as well as some totally irrelevant facts.

Oh yes, we knew. Just because the support stand for a 750,000,000mm lens is kinda amazing in its own way, and being a f/0.95 pancake lens, it means that sparky has the world's most interesting camera. Nothing works with jokes as well as some totally irrelevant facts.

No, it's just an ordinary D7000.
fiufiu.gif

No, it's just an ordinary D7000.
fiufiu.gif

Maybe... but it's the photographer who makes it interesting. Anyways, flat jokes aside, I really like the images you took in this series. I cannot help but think your Grandmother will be pleased to know her collection is in fine hands and that you're revealing some of the beauty she found in those rocks. Did she, by any chance, let you photograph these before her passing?

........ Did she, by any chance, let you photograph these before her passing?

For the most part, I was much too young. I do have some photos of her studio in New Mexico in my old K25 slides. When I get around to buying a scanner, I'll keep an eye out for it. She did a lot of neat stuff.... made jewelry, painted, poetry etc. She did a lot with driftwood as well. I also inherited her slides, which I plan on scanning some of her 'better' work some day.

One of her most unique features is her double thumb. When she was 8, her right index finger was cut off in a farming accident. After that, she started to grow a second thumb. I took a shot of it for her in 1979:

DoubleThumbPost.jpg

Did you have any of your Gramma's paintings or poetry? Sometimes the person does not appreciate what they have done/made, and it is up to the subsequent generations to bring that hidden talent out into the open. She seems (through your presentation) to be a very interesting person. Perhaps a book of her work?

Did you have any of your Gramma's paintings or poetry? Sometimes the person does not appreciate what they have done/made, and it is up to the subsequent generations to bring that hidden talent out into the open. She seems (through your presentation) to be a very interesting person. Perhaps a book of her work?

She didn't write enough for a book. I do have about 15 of her paintings and one of her poems.

DutySpent.jpg

I used her title for this shot I took last year:

DutySpent_Post.jpg

Sparky, you've got a treasure trove there. Love, love, love her careful script, and phrasing. Very poignant message too, and perhaps you will prove her wrong in thinking "Only in the specks of dust will my story be told".

She had gorgeous handwriting!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back