Grand Canyon - PLEASE HELP

CGR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
PLEASE HELP ME, I'M SO EXCITED!!!

I just found out that later this week I'm going on a helicopter ride from Vegas to the Grand Canyon. We will land down in the base of the canyon. I'm literally drooling over the idea of photographing this experience. But I need your landscape photography tips. What settings do you use?

My only real experience is in portrait photography I usually shoot fast moving subjects (toddlers) so I use back-button focusing in AI-SERVO mode on my 5D Mark3. I usually shoot with a 50mm or 85mm prime. But I'm thinking I'll want to take my 24-105mm f4 zoom lens- because otherwise I don't have anything under 50mm and I'm guessing I'll want to capture as much in the frame as I can. (these are my only 3 lenses)

Should I change my AF settings? What shutter speed and aperture would capture the landscape the best? Please let me know yours tips. I want to have a plan so that I can take in as much of the experience as possible and not be fiddling with the settings all the time (or stressed that I'll miss the shot).

Many thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

While we're at it, any tips for Vegas lights?

I can't help you witht the Vegas lights, but the Grand Canyon...maybe. A couple of years ago, when I was in Botswana, I took a side trip to Zimbabwe to visit the Victoria Falls. I opted for a helicopter tour of the falls. I was using a 5D Classic and had my 24-105 lens on it at all times. I shot in Aperture Priority mode and in single shot. I set the aperture at f16 to give a me a decent DOF. All the shooting was from the air . If you are going to land in the canyon, then the 24mm end of the lens may be okay for wide angle shots. I would use the 24-105, rather than the primes as it will give you more freedom to focus on the features you want to capture than the prime will and it covers their focal length as well. HTH.

Have a great time and share some of your images when you get back.

WesternGuy

My experience in taking photos from helicopters during my 35 years with the Canadian Coast Guard suggests setting your camera on shutter priority and 1/500. Since most subjects will be fairly distant, DOF should not be a problem. Make sure you get a window seat, or you won't get much photo wise. Don't rest your arms or camera on the helicopter window or anything while shooting, as thes machines vibrate all the time, and the vibrations can transfer to your camera. And the 24-105 should be great, not a lot of fun trying to change lenses in mid flight, and less to be concerned about.

I was fotunate to be able to do most of my shooting trough an open window, as the plexiglass windows may be scratched and/or tinted, and can reflect the insides of the chopper back into your lens. If you can shoot through an opne window, all the better.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the help guys!!!! WOW! 1/500 and f16.... what kinda ISO are we looking at in broad daylight? Or just play around with aperture vs shutter priority I'm used to full manual mode. I guess I'll have to play around with that as I usually hang around 1/320 and F2.8 ... so this is all new to me, LOL. But, perfect recommendations. Exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!

For this I would set the ISO on Auto. Let the camera work it out. Use 1/500 minimum as suggested.

Thank you so much for the help guys!!!! WOW! 1/500 and f16.... what kinda ISO are we looking at in broad daylight? Or just play around with aperture vs shutter priority I'm used to full manual mode. I guess I'll have to play around with that as I usually hang around 1/320 and F2.8 ... so this is all new to me, LOL. But, perfect recommendations. Exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!

With the 5D III, you should be able to get away with an ISO of 400 to 800, preferably 400. The reason that I suggested using Aperture Priority and single shot, is that, even though you are used to manual shooting, the last thing you want to have to do when you are flying around is to keep trying to figure out your cameras settings and single shot is best, from my experience, for this type of photography. Setting it on AF, means you won't have to fiddle around focusing your camera as you are trying to take pictures.

WesternGuy

Great advice thanks! On the Mark 3 I can go ISO up to 6400 without seeing a real problem (certainly won't have to go that high). I also have no experience going panoramic shots. Do you just stitch them together in post processing (I have PSE and Lightroom)? How do you do that with the gear I have (and please don't say iPhone 5). ;)

You should worry about post processing later... when you get the shots. Just make sure you over lap the photos by about 1/3 and they will be fine. Also, when doing panos, try to take scenes where the objects are about the same distance to you. If you take shots where there are objects really close to you and far away from you, the failure rate tends to be higher. Grand canyon should be fine.

There are a few good pano softwares. I think others may have a better idea of what to recommend. I personally use photoshop. It works great.

If you want to get some very wide shots you can take shots up, down and across and stitch them into one wide angle photo...

Rent an UWA. Seriously. It doesn't cost that much usually (maybe $30) and would be well worth it, IMHO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back