Grand Canyon

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Typical tourist sunset from Grand Canyon Village
780c2968-5748.jpg

Yes! This is what I know of the Grand Canyon from photo books and travel guides to the South West. And no matter how much of a "typical tourist sunset" this one might be: isn't it magnificent over and again when you are there and get the chance to see it, feel it? (I have never been there, so my "knowledge" is totally reduced to photos I get to see of Grand Canyon).

I'd say another typical abraxas shot.

Stunning.

I have the same semi-negative comment to someone else's recent photo of the Great Wall ... not really that interesting of a photograph, but I think it's hard to capture something as expansive as the Grand Canyon in a photo.

Yes! This is what I know of the Grand Canyon from photo books and travel guides to the South West. And no matter how much of a "typical tourist sunset" this one might be: isn't it magnificent over and again when you are there and get the chance to see it, feel it? (I have never been there, so my "knowledge" is totally reduced to photos I get to see of Grand Canyon).

I've been there twice. It's just overwhelming. If I knew then (summer '06)what I know now, the shot would be much better but still flat. There's just no way to capture it. Maybe this winter. I'd like to be there with some snow on the ground- some drama in the sky. My first trip it was cloudy, but when I first walked up to the canyon, the sky just opened up. Wish I had a camera then. I did have one of those clunky obnoxious cam-corders. I have a tape somewhere, 5 minutes of me following about 10 yards behind my wife hollering, "Hey lady, what's your name?- Stop for a minute, I want to talk to you!" --She hates it when I do that.

I'd say another typical abraxas shot.

Stunning.

Thanks.

I have the same semi-negative comment to someone else's recent photo of the Great Wall ... not really that interesting of a photograph, but I think it's hard to capture something as expansive as the Grand Canyon in a photo.

It's just hard to pull off. I've seen a few really nice ones, but it's just easy to get blown away by the beauty and be fooled into thinking you're doing better than you are.
--

Since then I've decided to start working on my 'art.' This was the trip that changed me. I did try, but I didn't really know how to use the camera to express what I felt. I kept reverting to the usual documentation shots I use on my website. Not bad, but not great.

http://digital-desert.com/grand-canyon/

Thanks again all.

It's just hard to pull off. I've seen a few really nice ones, but it's just easy to get blown away by the beauty and be fooled into thinking you're doing better than you are.

Believe me, I know in this case. I've been there twice and both times thought I was taking excellent photos. Brought them back, looked through them, and they just looked "blah." I didn't want to call your photos that, but mine at least looked fairly "blah." I'm trying to talk my parents into taking a family field trip down to Flagstaff where one day would be a drive up to the Grand Canyon, so I may get another shot fairly soon, but still, I think something like that is incredibly difficult to capture the feeling that you get when you're there and transfer it to a photograph.

This is a great shot, well deserving to be framed and hung.

Being from Australia, I took my folks to have xmas one year with my wifes family. Of course, it snowed on the 26th so they missed one of those "white xmas" fairtales. Another thing on our agenda was the Grand Canyon. We rented a car from LA, Drove to Vegas, then drove to the West Rim (much closer than the South). The adventure of getting there almost over shadowed the canyon itself but I wont go into that. Some wonderful scenery complete with Joshua Tree plantations. Unforutunately, I was not all that into photography at the time and had a crappy 2mp P&S but my dad had just purchased a 4mp Canon (this is over 3 years ago so it was decent) so those came out clearer. We got what we thought were nice shots and for some ametures, they we good enough for us. I even did a super wide panaramic, almost 180 degrees and you still dont get the scope of it. Most shots are cliche, but what else can you do other than catching some unique cloud formations if you are lucky. All you can do is capture something worth framing even if thousands before you have done it already, at least its yours. Next time I go I will be sure to be loaded with some good gear, even if it means borrowing it.

Beautiful shot, Abraxas. BTW - Late summer or early fall is a good time to catch the thunderstorms rolling in. I prefer the north rim, but it's one hell of a drive there!

Believe me, I know in this case. I've been there twice and both times thought I was taking excellent photos. ...

... I think something like that is incredibly difficult to capture the feeling that you get when you're there and transfer it to a photograph.

I've been checking out the dates, these were taken two years ago just about to the day. I was so unimpressed with my work next to my memory, I hurried through them when I finally put them online a year ago last December. I'm hoping my photoshop PP is up to working with them now.

This is a great shot, well deserving to be framed and hung. ...

... the Grand Canyon. We rented a car from LA, Drove to Vegas, then drove to the West Rim (much closer than the South). The adventure of getting there almost over shadowed the canyon itself but I wont go into that. Some wonderful scenery complete with Joshua Tree ...

... We got what we thought were nice shots and for some ametures, they we good enough for us. I even did a super wide panaramic, almost 180 degrees and you still dont get the scope of it. Most shots are cliche, but what else can you do other than catching some unique cloud formations if you are lucky. ...

Thank you. I liked the shot quite a bit when I posted it, now it's starting to pale for me. I've been going through my other shots of the three days we were there... ho-boy, that place! Sounds like you had quite an adventure. The west rim? that sounds remote visitor-wise. I need to spend a bunch of time in that area. In Zion last month I found out there's a lot more to see than I would have ever thought.

I think I'm going to do some hiking down some of the trails aways next time. I'd like to float out of the bottom, ... Maybe. Havasu Falls is big on my list.

Beautiful shot, Abraxas. BTW - Late summer or early fall is a good time to catch the thunderstorms rolling in. I prefer the north rim, but it's one hell of a drive there!

Thank you. The first time I went through the canyon we drove around to see the north rim. You're right. Loooonnnng drive, and that was just to the turn. Was going to stay in a room in a little motel I think right off the turnoff to the rim. Rented the room, I was beat. The manager said go check it out first. I said I was fine with it and needed some sleep. The motel had thick wooden-shuttered wndows, solid door, no TV, radio, clock, magazines and only one little lamp. It was so quiet, cramped and claustrophobic. My wife and I sat in there about 2 minutes and decided if we were to spend the night, there may only be one of us that left, alive. So we took the key back and drove to St George.

:)

Most reactions

Back