What's new

Grand Prismatic Spring - Yellowstone National Park

NorrellPhotography

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 13, 2011
Messages
37
Reaction score
2
Location
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First post here, so we'll see if it works. This is Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone, taken from a ridge 1/4 mile away and a little over 500 ft higher elevation than the spring.
Grand_Prismatic_Spring.jpg
 
wow, from how far away? Very nice, what a big lens you must have used :)
 
Thanks folks. Trever, I used a Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 on a D300s zoomed to 70mm. The spring is just huge (I think 300 ft x 350 ft). Those are people on the boardwalk on the far side of the spring. Thanks again.
 
ahh, I didn't even see the people! Yeah, it really is much bigger than I thought :)
 
That's quite a sight! You captured it well. No wonder, it's called "prismatic"!
What's the smell like?
 
Thanks Trever, Frequency and LaFoto. Many of the thermal areas have a sulfur smell. I don't recall being able to smell it on that ridge or it being that bad up close on the boardwalks, but I've been out here for years and may have simply gotten used to it. For those visiting Yellowstone, I highly recommend climbing this ridge. It's off the trail to Fairy Falls.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom