Greenville, CA

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've felt like I have been in a kind of extended funk for a while. I haven't been out shooting for too long. For some reason, I woke up several hours earlier than usual this morning, so I took the opportunity to drive to the town I spent my school years in. At that time the population was about 2,500, now it's just over 1,100.

Nikon D810, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 at 24mm, f/7.1, 1/320s, ISO 800, hand-held.
greenville1601-003-1080x.jpg

Nikon D810, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 at 30mm, f/2.8, 1/800s, ISO 64, hand-held.
greenville1601-036-x1200.jpg

C&C welcome.

I liked both the images very much;there you used f/7.1. Why you chose f/2.8 in the latter? can that be reason the post Is that a water point for fire force?)seen in the foreground a bit off in the second image?

The first picture feels like it is from the past...especially so, because all of the cars in the shot are at least 20 years old. Lots of towns like these all across the country now. Still amazing that we have people continually flowing to cities.

I liked both the images very much;there you used f/7.1. Why you chose f/2.8 in the latter? can that be reason the post Is that a water point for fire force?)seen in the foreground a bit off in the second image?
I usually shoot aperture priority so that I can control the depth of field. In the first picture, I wanted the whole scene to be in focus, from the manhole cover in the foreground to the distant buildings down the street. There is emphasis on the hardware store, which many years ago was very busy a that time of the morning (8:41am - I just noticed I hadn't turned DS off) and not a single truck parked in front now.

The photo of the hotel was about the hotel, a historic building. I didn't want full depth of field, although I did want foreground interest. That was my vision. But I did like the fire hydrant too, which is also an antique, so I made another of it as the focal point and the hotel out of focus.

greenville1601-035-x1200.jpg

Same specs as the previous photo.

Personally I like it with both hydrant and hotel in focus, tells a better story

I actually like this one with fire hydrant in focus and building a bit oof, because it has a message to tell; what ever be the size of a building, can turn to a heap of ash if a fire holocaust is incident; it says how important to have such a fire fighting measure is at hand..... :)

A body in the foreground can be a bit disturbing, however small it may be; that is also a reason why i like third over second :)

I actually like this one with fire hydrant in focus and building a bit oof, because it has a message to tell; what ever be the size of a building, can turn to a heap of ash if a fire holocaust is incident; it says how important to have such a fire fighting measure is at hand..... :)

A body in the foreground can be a bit disturbing, however small it may be; that is also a reason why i like third over second :)
Well, there is a story about that hotel, or rather the hotels that came before it. The building I photographed and grew up with is at least the fourth hotel at this site. All the previous ones were destroyed by fires. The first hotel, a boarding house, dates from 1862. It burned in 1869 just as its guests were sitting down for dinner. Before the end of the year, a new hotel was started. But in 1872, it burned again. Undaunted, the owner built again, this time a larger, more elegant building. It had a dining room, billiard salon, parlor and a dance hall plus 80 beds and accommodations for 100 diners. The hotel was the stage depot, social center and the town's pride and joy. Although it survived another fire in 1881, it was severely damaged. In 1922 the Greenville Hotel burned again. The present structure was built in 1931. It is slightly smaller than the old hotel and includes the Pioneer Bar and Restaurant. I don't know if the hydrant pictured was ever used on that or previous incarnations of the hotel.

I like the first, tonality, composition and colour. It works for me. Don't care for the second much though.

I lived in Chico for a while. Never much cared for the valley, but always really felt there was a lot of potential in the mountains. Nice set!

I lived in Chico for a while. Never much cared for the valley, but always really felt there was a lot of potential in the mountains. Nice set!
Jim, wonderful photo. Have been t so many of those kids of towns in Norcal growing up, the photo is very nostalgic.

I lived in Chico for a number of years, haven't been back in 10 years. Developed as a photographer in Korea and would really love to go back and photograph the Chico area. Dry lightning from atop Bidwell, Horseshoe lake, 1 mile, 5 mile, Bear Hole,.... the landscape opportunities in the area are endless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back