Greetings and Happy New Year!

Cortian

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

Seeking to learn how best to take advantage of the Canon 20D I was gifted several months ago, so here I am :). Finally sat down Christmas Day to start learning how to use it.

The camera came with a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM zoom lens. I've added a Canon EF 100-300mm USM zoom lens, a couple STK batteries, and have a Canon RS-80N3 remote shutter release on the way. Already had a Velbon Victory 150 tripod I purchased when I bought my Pentax 35mm camera many moons ago.

I've read Ken Rockwell's excellent (IMO) Canon 20D User's Guide and am currently reading Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure.

My previous cameras have been a Minolta 110 Zoom (actually an SLR!), Pentax IQZoom 900 and Olympus C-4000Z. The past few years it's been only a little Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 P&S and whatever cellphone camera has been at hand.

Not certain what kinds of photography I'll find most interesting, although my wife and I enjoy trying to catch the wildlife in our yard, which was the reason for jumping on the 100-300mm zoom lens. (That and it was essentially NIB for $99!)

Welcome to TPF! We have plenty of Canon enthusiasts here, so I expect you'll learn a lot.

Check out our camera section on the main forum page. Any questions that are specifically about your Canon should be posted in there. More general questions can be posted in the Beginner's Forum, or perhaps Beyond the Basics.

Have fun, and keep posting! ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome, Terri!

I'd actually been reading the Beginner's Forum before signing up. I was impressed by the fact that no matter how "n00b-ish" or repetitive the question, people got patient, civil responses. (Sometimes with a light touch of humour :).)

Since joining, I've already perused the Canon forums and some of the Challenge/Contest stuff. (I might even have an entry for Pixmedic's current contest.) Already found several useful discussions.

I think I'm going to like it here :).

Most reactions

Back