Grey market stuff

Blind Bruce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just read a thread that discussed the various points of grey market lenses. I have to admit that I do not know what this is. It does, however, prompt me to inquire if there is a reputable grey market dealer in Canada> Anybody know?

Depends on what you mean by reputable. Grey Market items are items such as camera bodies and lenses that are bought cheaper overseas and do not carry a North American Warranty. If you have a problem with it you have to ship the item back to the manufacture overseas for repairs etc. Some lenses do come with an International warranty as well as a North American warranty but they tend to be very high dollar lenses in my experience.

Here in the US if memory serves me correctly B&H used to stand behind the Grey Market items they sold. Don't know if that is still true or not. If you had an issue with it they would repair it. It was not to my knowledge sent back to the manufacturer rather B&H took care of the repair. As for Canada I don't know. You would probably have to speak to the company offering grey market items and see what their policy is.

..reputable grey market dealer in Canada..
Considering that dealers of gray-market merchandise usually try to sell to unsuspecting neophytes and essentially dupe them into thinking that the buyer is getting a really good deal, I don't think I would characterize any of them as "reputable".

It's mostly the same stuff without an import warranty, which the purchaser pays for in the somewhat higher purchase price of full warranty stuff.

If you want to take a chance on never needing warranty work done, you can usually save a few bucks by buying gray market.

Most reactions

Back