Grouse Mountain Wildlife

Bo4key

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently took a family vacation to Vancouver and spent half a day up Grouse Mountain.

They have two Grizzly Bears and a Bird of Prey demonstration as well as a Lumberjack show.

I was mainly intrigue by the captive wildlife and wanted to get a few snaps.

Enjoy

Grizzly Bear - Grouse Mountain, Vancouver, BC
by FourB Photography, on Flickr

There was still snow on the ground and it was messing with my metering, as well as the sun being high in the sky, but I wondered if I'd ever get this kind of opportunity to shoot a Grizzly so I made the best of it.

I absolutely love these beasts.

Falcon - Grouse Mountain, Vancouver, BC

This was also a captive animal that had been rescued. It was incredible to get so close and to see a demonstration of how agile and fast they are in the air.

I'm posting these more to share as I think it's cheating a little to shoot them in captivity but please critique away. Any improvements I can make to these will help me improve every where else.

Awesome photos. I like the sharp focus of the bird and the expression you caught on the bears face.

Both of them are really good shots -- sharp and I like #1 best for the expression on his face and his pose.

I also capture the falcon in flight, it literally flew right over our heads.

Not the best shot, I wish I hadn't cut off the handlers head, but they are so fast that I'm just happy I caught him mid flight.

Falcon Flight

That is good enough...although both are important to the story, it is still understandable. I like it....so don't beat yourself about it..

That is good enough...although both are important to the story, it is still understandable. I like it....so don't beat yourself about it..

Thank you.

In a way, I guess having the falconer slightly out of focus and headless takes the focus away from them and onto the bird itself.

First off these are beautiful, and no need to make apologies for them being captive animals. Many of these animals were rescued for a reason, they may have not be able to survive in the wild.

For the Grizz I moved him out of the center of the frame a little, maybe a little too tight in the frame now ?

I also went +20 on the shadows, +25 on the highlights, +30 on the black and +15 on Clarity. All of the detail was there in the darker areas so I thought it should be showing. To balance it out I went -50 on the white. I'm not an expert so feel free to disregard if you don't like it, it is just a beautiful shot so I wanted to take a shot at post on it :thumbup:

$14292355981_891cb9bcfd_h-2.jpg

Nice Shots. I would love to get some bear shots of a Grizzly and more so the Kodiak Brown Bear.

That Grizzly is so cool. Very nice.

Captivity has nothing to do with the legitimacy of good photos of critters IMO. And these are great shots. That being said , I also like what Bill did with the bear.

I get to shoot captive birds that are being rehabbed/released quite a bit and I know catching one in flight as they are released is not easy as you have no idea which way they are headed..

First off these are beautiful, and no need to make apologies for them being captive animals. Many of these animals were rescued for a reason, they may have not be able to survive in the wild.

For the Grizz I moved him out of the center of the frame a little, maybe a little too tight in the frame now ?

I also went +20 on the shadows, +25 on the highlights, +30 on the black and +15 on Clarity. All of the detail was there in the darker areas so I thought it should be showing. To balance it out I went -50 on the white. I'm not an expert so feel free to disregard if you don't like it, it is just a beautiful shot so I wanted to take a shot at post on it :thumbup:

View attachment 75416

Love the edit, especially what you've done with the eyes.

I would like a little more room around the bear and I'm sure there is somewhere between your crop and mine that would be perfect.

Most reactions

Back