What's new

Guide my next purchase! (4/3 mount)

Romsius

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Location
South Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to hand my current 5 year old E-500 down to my little sister, so I think I should upgrade to a high level body. Now, i'm not what you would call a "professional" but I do some automotive photography, and landscape photography. A lot of places I go make it hard to carry a long a tripod so I am really wanting to take advantage of a body based IS system. I am looking at the Olympus E-30, and E-620. I can get them used for pretty cheap. Would it be better to wait for a newer four thirds body to come out or should I jump on one of these? Or just ditch the 4/3 family all together.
 
Just out of curiosity, what makes you want to consider going to the 4/3 mount?

Mark
 
4/3 sounds interesting, as it covers more of the image circle (more 'square') - though I have not actually used it yet... If you have a lot of 4/3 lenses already, I can see sticking with that. If you have a limited selection, or a mediocre selection of lenses I see little reason to stick with that (or any other, for that matter) format.

If you happen to have some well performing 4/3 lenses though, why not...?
 
Last edited:
Yep had a dip into 4/3rds myself with Panasonic G1 - Lumix G Vario 14-45 mm f/3.5-5.6 - 20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Pancake Lens for a month. Couldn't get use to the Electronic Viwefinder,2x crop factor and noise above 400. Also limited and expensive lens choices unless you are willing or have manual lenses to shoot with.

And took a beating on selling it when it was just 6 weeks old. Makes great for supporting or backup. But wouldn't want to shoot with it for a main setup.

Yep really comes down to needs,style and type of shooting individual wants to do. And for many are happy with the results of 4/3rds. Just isn't for me.
.
 
For me, the consequences far outweigh the good aspects. That's just me, though. You could always take photos with the regular 3:2 ratio and crop if youd like. With so many MPs these days, you have more than enough room to do so.

Mark
 
I know you say its hard to carry along a Tripod to where your going,hill walking ect.But did you think about a rather good Monopod?Im not sure of the Brand,but one compant offers a monopod with a tri stabliser,little legs at the bottom of the monopod to help stabilise when shooting,its a good alternative for a tripod if you dont want to cart one around.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom