Guitar Photograph

grantjames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all!

I've just taken this picture of one of my guitars that I wanted to share with you all:

geetar.jpg

However, after clicking "Save for Web" in photoshop, the colours are altered quite a bit. In photoshop, the guitar is a really rich, deep red colour, but comes out really pale and dull after. Can anyone tell me why?

Also, any comments/criticism on the general composition of the picture would also be greatly appreciated :D

A little background: I had the guitar lying on my bed, because I don't have a suitable background for it, which is why I have filled the background in black.

I also couldn't avoid the reflections and shadows. I tried to photoshop these out but you could tell I had done so, so I decided to leave them in.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I saved one using "Save As...", and the colours seem to have been preserved on my pc. Could anyone tell me if the following looks different to the one above, please?

geetar2.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I could have been a world famous guitarist myself except one little bump in the road derailed that track. No talent whatsoever. Other than that I would have been great. I love the sound of those things.

the focus seems soft to me.

It is really very nice photo of a guitar,i have saved this image,thanks.

Here is my quick 2 minute edit that brightens and sharpens up the image a bit. I also removed some dust specks from the guitar body.

geetar-2.jpg

However, after clicking "Save for Web" in photoshop, the colours are altered quite a bit. In photoshop, the guitar is a really rich, deep red colour, but comes out really pale and dull after. Can anyone tell me why?
It is likely the image was made in a color space that has a broader gamut (like Adobe RGB) than the sRGB color space that the web uses.

Here is my quick 2 minute edit that brightens and sharpens up the image a bit. I also removed some dust specks from the guitar body.

Nice! I really like what you've done with it there. After looking at that, I can see how soft the focus was on my original.

I've edited my own to add some sharpness and bring out the colour more and I'm starting to really like this photo :D

It is likely the image was made in a color space that has a broader gamut (like Adobe RGB) than the sRGB color space that the web uses.

What he said. Check your color space in photoshop and also when saving for web. If you are editing in anything other than sRGB it will most likely look very different on the web. Photoshop will convert any file when its opened into photoshop. So even if you shoot in sRGB but photoshop is set to AdobeRGB, it will convert without you even realizing it.

Also, nice axe. Is that an ESP? or a Jackson?

when you save images for web the colour profile is changed from CMYK to RGB, a lot of the time you work in CMYK without realising because programmes are ready to print so all the colours change when its saved for web.

when you save images for web the colour profile is changed from CMYK to RGB, a lot of the time you work in CMYK without realising because programmes are ready to print so all the colours change when its saved for web.
Just to be clear - RGB is not a color space. It is a family of color spaces.

Digital camears don't offer CMYK as color space option, because CMYK is a subtractive color model while RGB is an additive color model. Digital cameras generally only offer captures as sRGB or Adobe RGB, which are both RGB color spaces.

Today CMYK is used almost exclusively by the prepress printing and publishing industries.

Adobe Lightroom use's the ProPhoto RGB color space (another RGB color space), but ProPhoto RGB's gamut has colors beyond the limits of human vision.

The only thing I don't like, is that ESP just makes rip offs of other guitars in terms of body styling, like Jackson, Ibanez, Gibson. They just change the knobs a little haha.The EMG pickups are nice though. I still remember when you could only get an ESP custom made, you had to fill out this lengthy order form. Then Kirk Hammet's crossbones guitar made everyone want one, so they figured, hey lets sell some pre-made guitars.

Nice pic, I've got an Ibanez with almost the same cherry red wood grain deal. I love that guitar. to think I almost sold it

Most reactions

Back