Gun Bore Picture Techique DOF issues

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for a better way to take picrtures of the bore of a rifle. In rifle collecting, or sales the condition of the bore is a valuable thing to be able to accurately portray. In the attached picture, you can see enough of the bore in focus to get a good idea of what the rest is like, but I would love to get further in. The problem is the DOF. I'm really close up, so the DOF by nature is going to be narrow. This was shot with a 28mm prime, at f/29.... and I still only got 1 inch in focus.

Is there something else I should be considering, or do I need to look into techniques like Focus Stacking to get any further with this type of image?

Thanks.

Focus Stacking; or if you only need a small image, back up to increase your DoF and crop your image.
On the surface the backing up is a fix. In practice, its more difficult. The outside diameter of the barrel is just over 1/2". Backing up to a distance that affords any resobable DOF will make the crop so tight that image quality suffers pretty badly. Switching to a longer focal length is futile, since you are basically taking one step back to take one step forward. Those was my first thouht as well. I tried them with disappointing results.

if the rifle is loaded or unloaded?

It's this sort of situation that focus stacking was designed for, that was definitely what came to my mind first.

Last edited:
tilt-shift or focus stacking. Do you use canon or nikon. There are a few older nikon manual tilt lens for around $3-500. They do not shift though. I'm not quite sure which one is needed for product photography more tilt or shift or both.

Last edited:
Is there some way to put a light source in the chamber ? Or some high reflecting material so as to light the entire barrel ?

Focus Stacking; or if you only need a small image, back up to increase your DoF and crop your image.
On the surface the backing up is a fix. In practice, its more difficult. The outside diameter of the barrel is just over 1/2". Backing up to a distance that affords any resobable DOF will make the crop so tight that image quality suffers pretty badly. Switching to a longer focal length is futile, since you are basically taking one step back to take one step forward. Those was my first thouht as well. I tried them with disappointing results.

Focus Stacking might have to be the way to go then. Works fairly well in my experience.

You can also move back to f/5.6-8 to get a sharper image too (even though it will take a bit longer in processing).

Yep focus stacking time! Put that camera on a focusing rail and shift it a tiny bit closer for each shot (leave focus in the same place) before putting the series of shots into one of the programs below (the first is 100% free, whilst the second two have free limited time trials - there isn't one best option, but one might give an advantage over the others in select cases)

I N D E X
Helicon Focus - extended depth of field, focus stacking, 3D visualization
stacker [Zerene Stacker]

If you don't have a focusing rail you can shift the focus for each shot as well without too much trouble.

if the rifle is loaded or unloaded?
In order to get any kind of look at the condition of the bore, a light needs to be shining into the chamber. In order for light to come through the chamber, the action must be open, and the gun must be unloaded. Besides, I don't have a deathwish, or desire to replace my camera, interior wall, exterior wall, neighbors wall, or neighbor. None of my rifles are ever loaded unless I'm at the range or on the field. And yes, I checked three times.

I will admit this was fun to set up. Two speedlights. One from behind camera left, and one shining into the open chamber.

Get a bore light and drop it down the barrel, or there is a product called a barrel-lite which loads in the chamber and uses whatever light source you want to put on it (might help with exposing the barrel correctly). Should illuminate it nicely

Yep focus stacking time! Put that camera on a focusing rail and shift it a tiny bit closer for each shot

Thanks for the links! I've been looking for a (personally) valid reason to try focus stacking for a while..... looks like I finally found it.

As far as a rail is concerned, it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to build one for a tripod mount........... (I'm certainly not going to purchase one.) Any DIY links that people know of off the top of their head? If not, I will have to wing it.

I did focus stacking, without a rail, just changing the focus ring, and using the free software mentioned. Try that first before you buy more equipment. :D

Professional Macro Focusing Rail Slider 4-Way D-SLR DC | eBay UK

an example - focusing rail in ebay gives loads of results for the same product. If you can make it for less than that unit then you are doing well. Budget wise that is about the best on the market. If not by build, but rather by design. If you're going to build I'd suggest a similar design approach.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Get a bore light and drop it down the barrel, or there is a product called a barrel-lite which loads in the chamber and uses whatever light source you want to put on it (might help with exposing the barrel correctly). Should illuminate it nicely

Actually, the light at the end of the bore is coming from the chamber. I would think that there is plenty of light just from the speedlight I have down at the other end. With focus stacking I can back off the f stop, and get a much better exposure.

Good idea though, Never hurts to try! I wonder if that barrel - light product coupled with a speedlight would be really effective, or really overkill. Hmmmmmmm.......

I did focus stacking, without a rail, just changing the focus ring, and using the free software mentioned. Try that first before you buy more equipment.

This will more than likely be my first try..... I will post results when I get 20 minutes free of wedding planning and snot nosed bratty kids.

Professional Macro Focusing Rail Slider 4-Way D-SLR DC | eBay UK
an example - focusing rail in ebay gives loads of results for the same product. If you can make it for less than that unit then you are doing well. Budget wise that is about the best on the market. If not by build, but rather by design. If you're going to build I'd suggest a similar design approach.

I'm not going to be buying anything...... not until after the wedding anyways...... the wife would kill me. :lol:

If the focus adjusting method doesn't work out, I will be all over this priduct in a month or two. Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back