~ Gun Dog Wall Of Fame ~

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSC08894_Fotor.jpg

~ Gun Dog Wall Of Fame ~ So I most often do the majority of my gun dog training with each K9 individually and focusing on specific skill sets needed by each given dog. Suffering an ongoing heat wave, I kept last evening's session low in terms of demanded training pressure and overall physicality. I worked with these four retrievers on skills including recall on demand, walking at heel while off-lead, and remote sit/stop upon whistle signal. Random forms of communication inclusive of verbal command, whistle signal, and gestural cue were utilized to convey my desire for the K9's to perform specific actions. We walked slowly to one of nine ponds on the training grounds and the dogs were allowed to frolic at will in the water, a welcomed cooling down from the overwhelming heat. On our way back to the kennel building, the dogs were given the command "GET UP" with each jumping atop of an old stonewall. Once up on the wall, the dogs are required to sit and stay until given the command "OFF" at which time they can jump off. I utilize this exercise as a builder of patience, an extension of the PLACE board platform that they have been trained upon from their early formative time as a puppy. The added distraction of multiple dogs puts more demand on the dogs to work cooperatively.

DSC08880_Fotor.jpg

~ Triple Threat ~ Yellow Labrador gun dog trainee MAC is flanked by chocolate Labrador gun dog trainees REX and SHOOTER as the three are seen frolicking in the water during na low pressure "free swim" period. I find the occasional session of low training pressure demanded is a reprieve for the dogs from their demanding training routines, is high value motivationally, affords them the opportunity to socialize as dogs. The water related skills that are a continuing element pf these dog's training are critical in forging them to being formidable retrievers during their times working in a waterfowl hunting capacity. All of these dogs are cross trained to hunt for both upland birds (pheasant, grouse, quail, woodcock, and doves), as well as waterfowl ( ducks and geese). Their times worked on waterfowl will include those spent on the calm waters of sheltered inland ponds, fast flowing rivers, and the rolling seas of the Northern Atlantic off of the rugged Maine coast.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️

Again, fantastic looking dogs.

Thank ye Mate. The yellow and the black are both of bloodlines from the UK.

Cheers,
Mike ☘️

They are very common working dogs and pets here are the Labs.

And with very good reason. My favorite breed to work with.

Mike ☘️

I've never had one myself, always Border Collies for me but I've known many friends and colleagues who've had black, yellow or chocolate labs and they've always been of a fantastic disposition with a great temperament. Like me tho they tend to get fatter when older:D:D;)

Again, fantastic looking dogs.

Thank ye Mate. The yellow and the black are both of bloodlines from the UK.

Cheers,
Mike ☘️

They are very common working dogs and pets here are the Labs.

And with very good reason. My favorite breed to work with.

Mike ☘️

I've never had one myself, always Border Collies for me but I've known many friends and colleagues who've had black, yellow or chocolate labs and they've always been of a fantastic disposition with a great temperament. Like me tho they tend to get fatter when older:D:D;)

Space Face,

Indeed, most Labs generally have a "fantastic disposition with a great temperament". As for their tendency to "get fatter when older", that is largely a function of motivation and their being well maintained for physical fitness. My Labradors are working dogs and as competitive K9 athletes they are maintained in peak physical condition with a careful eye kept on proper nutrition. The Labrador seen here is soon to be seven years old (August 2020), and as ye can see, it hasn't slowed his athleticism significantly. A peak performance retriever.

DSC05078 2_Fotor.jpg

~ HRCH UH TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH ~ TRAD is seen making a dynamic water entry having been sent to make a retrieve. TRAD and the lot o' gun dog trainees that I work with are truly peak performance K9 athletes.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️

Most reactions

Back