the background is hdr, the model is not. I underexposed the model a bit because the main lighting is coming from behind him. If I "properly" exposed his face that would have been another light source in the picture thats not accounted for and would have IMO looked funny. I probably did overdo the background some, I have a look i'm going for but haven't quite perfected the pp of it yet. As far as the crop, I like to shoot portraits in landscape, I do cut off fingers, heads, limbs, etc. what i'm more worried about is balance in the photo. You can have a "perfect" composition but if it doesn't balance well in the photo its kinda pointless. Most people won't notice the fingers are cropped off when attention is drawn to the top of the photo with the lights. The highlights on the abs are meant to work with the lights in the ceiling creating a triangle of light that your eye follows. (like great painters do) Whether or not I succeeded is a matter of opinion, but that is what I was going for during editing. Thanks for all the comments!