Haaalp!! Studio lighting moron here!

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I know the most basic setup is a light at 45 degrees up and away from the subject and a fill light near the camera axis.... But how FAR away from the subject do studio strobes need to be? I have two alien bees and I keep them at 1/32 because it's really bright. It just dawned on me now that its because my lights are too close to the subject maybe? I'm using white shoot through umbrellas btw and I keep the lights right at the edges of my paper backdrops. Yesterday I saw part of one of my umbrellas in the shot after reviewing from a session and I thought "Ok... This setup can not be right..."
Also should I shoot through the umbrellas or should I bounce the light into and off the umbrellas?

Last edited:
You keep your light or your camera to F32??

You mean 1/32? Check out my thread for some samples: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...gotta-love-my-new-35-1-4-l-new-model-pix.html

I have the WL 1600's which are the big brother's of ABs and I have not had any issue. This is what I do: I usually take my studio images at either F8 or F11. Why? It's something I've seen in a video and said can't go wrong w/ either of the setup. Also maybe you do have the subjects too close to the light source. When I want to get DOF, I turn off my strobes and use my modeling lights only, it's plenty for me to take at f/1.4 and of course you have to fix the WB. Hope that helps.

196379_201358713222076_145244588833489_674562_5066119_n.jpg

Yes sorry I have them on 1/32 because its too bright. I just want to know how far away from the subject they need to be? I think im putting them too close to the subject. Nice pics by the way!

I have two alien bees and I keep them at f32 because it's really bright
Studio lights don't have aperture settings...so do you mean 1/32 on the power scale?

Flash exposure is controlled by three main things. The first is the flash power, that's obvious. As you move the slider down from full power, it outputs less light. The next thing is the aperture of the lens. So while 1/32 on the strobe may be 'too bright'...that could also be because your aperture is too large. If you set your aperture to something smaller, you'd likely have to turn your lights up.
And finally, the distance from the light to the subject will affect the brightness of the subject, in as much as it has characteristics of diffuse reflection.

Also, the closer the lights are to the subject, the softer that light will be. So when the goal is to get soft light, you want your lights to be as close as possible to your subject...which is usually just on the outside of what the camera sees.

Also should I shoot through the umbrellas or should I bounce the light into and off the umbrellas?
That is largely personal preference. I've had long time pros tell me that they only use bounce...and others tell me they use shoot through. I usually bounce, unless I'm trying to get the umbrella really close to the subject.

Moving a light closer or farther is like adjusting power levels. I am guessing 1/32 is your lowest setting, since your saying its too bright?

As for through or bounce. I bounce.

Set your ISO to 160. Set your aperture to F7-F9, and if you want a degree of depth of field while still on a high aperture (like F1.4) then get an ND filter for your lens.

I also use ab800s, and I work them REALLY close to the subject. I am normally set at f/8 and I put a 1/2cut of ND gel so I can power them up past 1/32.

Just remember Sabrina, the further away you pull the lights, the harder your shadows will be. I think a ND filters a good idea or close your aperture down. I use a soft box and umbrella and I generally bounce through the umbrella. Personal choices I guess. Post some examples if you still have problems later.

Set your ISO to 160.
I don't think that the D5000 can set it's ISO in 1/3 stops...and like most Nikon DSLR cameras, it won't go lower than ISO 200.

You are always so knowledgeable Big Mike... thanks. I thought the opposite was true. I thought the further away the softer/diffuse the light. So I guess I have the lights positioned correctly! I just need to get the settings right. I just did this quick shoot with my son.
5533558240_5db2bd3e6d_b.jpg

5532977553_ecee491b80_b.jpg

5532978079_8fa6686f57_b.jpg

Since i'm no longer really using my speedlight/softbox (off camera) as a fill and instead using just my AB's for a main and a fill I had to use the onboard camera flash(no diffuser) to trigger the AB's wirelessly. It cast these ugly shadows when I thought it was the alien bees being too close. I just thought the fill from the AB would get rid of the shadows but no :(

f.8... im gonna try that! Its so easy to forget that adjusting shutter speed and aperture controls the light also!

thanks!! You use a softbox and an umbrella on the same light?

Lol no, I have a three light set up. AB800, AB400 and a SB600. I have the medium 32 x 40" softbox thats on my AB800 and then I either slap a umbrella or other mod, on the other lights.

Most reactions

Back