Habit Forming (One Thing Leads to Another)

I think you had a great chance to make these colors pop, but they look very dull to me. I guess maybe that is the point? Everything is old, I get that, but IMO the subject is not interesting enough to just look old and dull. Sorry, take it for what its worth, but I'd say a swing and a miss. =-(.

I think you had a great chance to make these colors pop, but they look very dull to me. I guess maybe that is the point? Everything is old, I get that, but IMO the subject is not interesting enough to just look old and dull. Sorry, take it for what its worth, but I'd say a swing and a miss. =-(.
It looks to me, like it is more a form of photojournalism then just an attempt to make an awesome, colour flashing photographs. Colours are natural, true, as it is, popping them up will be making something up. The point of this series of five photographs which should be taken as single work is a thought, a connection Berg made between those two vending machines and lives of people. And that is the subject.
Berg, you are going ever deeper in your allegories.

^ So you like these pictures? You think they are good?

It's social commentary.

There's a candy machine right next to a cigarette machine. I think it's supposed to look banal.

The shot of the two machines next to one another is critical, here. I'm not sure I love the angle on it. It feels like you're going for a series -- I might try something like you have for the individual machines, perhaps making the colors pop more or whatever. Try to make the individual machines "interesting" and fun to look at, and then finish the series with a completely banal straight-on shot which reveals the machines in their original faded color, right next to one another. Emphasize the surprise and shock at finding the two next to one another.

That's the concept that comes to MY mind, anyways. Maybe you can find something interesting in my words!

I like realism in photography, especially when comes to color. I like the fact, that this pictures represent an idea and in my opinion the form is in an accord with it.

I like realism in photography, especially when comes to color. I like the fact, that this pictures represent an idea and in my opinion the form is in an accord with it.

Sooo...do you think these are good photos? I'm more the cut and dry answer type of guy.

personally, i don't like the angles on these much. I would have liked them better straight on, and maybe not cropped in so close. I like the idea of the two machines side by side, I just don't like that the machines were cut off in all the shots. I don't really see any issue with the color, as it seems like they were meant to be "as-is", and not processed looking. so in that respect, i like them.

Sooo...do you think these are good photos? I'm more the cut and dry answer type of guy.
Technically they are correct. If they are good you have to decide for yourself. I stated my opinion already.

Last edited:
It looks to me, like it is more a form of photojournalism then just an attempt to make an awesome, colour flashing photographs. Colours are natural, true, as it is, popping them up will be making something up. The point of this series of five photographs which should be taken as single work is a thought, a connection Berg made between those two vending machines and lives of people. And that is the subject.
Berg, you are going ever deeper in your allegories.

Thanks, Timor. Yes, the five need to be viewed as a series and not as individual photos. The subject is, for me, quite a serious ethical issue and jazzing the colours up with over-saturation or HDR would be inappropriate, imo.

It's social commentary.

There's a candy machine right next to a cigarette machine. I think it's supposed to look banal.

The shot of the two machines next to one another is critical, here. I'm not sure I love the angle on it. It feels like you're going for a series -- I might try something like you have for the individual machines, perhaps making the colors pop more or whatever. Try to make the individual machines "interesting" and fun to look at, and then finish the series with a completely banal straight-on shot which reveals the machines in their original faded color, right next to one another. Emphasize the surprise and shock at finding the two next to one another.

That's the concept that comes to MY mind, anyways. Maybe you can find something interesting in my words!

Food for thought. Yes, the last shot is the clincher and is meant to be found disturbing and uncomfortable. Just how unscrupulous is placing a bubble gum machine next one for cigarettes? Social commentary indeed.

personally, i don't like the angles on these much. I would have liked them better straight on, and maybe not cropped in so close. I like the idea of the two machines side by side, I just don't like that the machines were cut off in all the shots. I don't really see any issue with the color, as it seems like they were meant to be "as-is", and not processed looking. so in that respect, i like them.

Thanks. Again, food for thought.

Most reactions

Back