Had a reeeeal scare with my 300d!!

Bokeh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tracymilburn.com
This morning after changing my cf card the camera kept giving me err-2. Narrowed it down to the cf card. Coming from a computer background really helped me out in this case. When you put in a cpu, there are pins very similar to where the cf card slides into on the camera, and if you don't line them up just right, you can bend or even break them. I couldn't see that far down without going outside right in the sunlight. Sure enough, one of the pins had somehow gotten laid over on another one. Went by the local camera shop but they were closed. So, I decided to find something that was thin, flat and just the right size to get down in there and bend it back. Finally used a tiny screwdriver like what you use to work on computers. Bent it back enough to slide in the card, and voi la! Works like a champ.

Never would have even though of this had I not worked on computers, which is basically what a digital camera is at its core.

your lucky you didn't break the little pin. I just had a 160gig hard drive go because the little connections behind the pins broke when the pin got pushed through. Your lucky your camera didn't have the same thing happen.... your also lucky you didn't bend it to far back the other way so the little sucker would break.

I'm glad you got your camera fixed tho! haha

Guru,

I said the same thing. I'm not sure about cameras, but if the pin on a chip breaks, it's trash.

As for bending it too far; I was veeeeddy, veddy careful! :)

Hehe, no doubt you were careful... Now to be more careful INSERTING the card into the camera :p

photosoup guru said:
Hehe, no doubt you were careful... Now to be more careful INSERTING the card into the camera :p

I don't know how it could have been anything I did. You would think they woudln't be that sensitive.

And yes, I was VERY happy when it started working again. I saw $800 of my life flash before my eyes :shock:

In the photolabs we are constantly replacing the card readers as customers are always bending the CF pins. It is my biggest worry with the D-70 as I have seen so many people bend and mangle the pins.

Eric

AIRIC said:
In the photolabs we are constantly replacing the card readers as customers are always bending the CF pins. It is my biggest worry with the D-70 as I have seen so many people bend and mangle the pins.

Eric

We've had to have ours at Walgreens replaced more times than I can count.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back