Had fun shooting a model on Thurs.

saycheese76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few photos from a shoot at my friend's house. Thanks for looking!

3397640648_1ce10f676c.jpg

3396825687_63b3455e5e.jpg

3396824061_6281b70055.jpg

3396831233_788b5760c6.jpg

l

*crickets chirping*:lol:

#1 and #3 have some compositional problems. I don't think the empty space helps the images much and #2 ends up in almost center frame with a pose that really doesn't like a center frame composition. #4 is very noisy. Scarily so and the eyes have gone from a perhaps strong emotion to 'chick is scary, run for the hills.'

#2 on the other hand... that's a very nice shot. Good dramatic lighting, good pose, excellent use of filling the frame. My only wish is that the hand were nailed in the focus as well, that the DOF were a bit deeper. Her hand blurs a bit and I think the ring is almost as an important element as her face. Excellent work on that one, though.

#1 and #3 have some compositional problems. I don't think the empty space helps the images much and #2 ends up in almost center frame with a pose that really doesn't like a center frame composition. #4 is very noisy. Scarily so and the eyes have gone from a perhaps strong emotion to 'chick is scary, run for the hills.'

#2 on the other hand... that's a very nice shot. Good dramatic lighting, good pose, excellent use of filling the frame. My only wish is that the hand were nailed in the focus as well, that the DOF were a bit deeper. Her hand blurs a bit and I think the ring is almost as an important element as her face. Excellent work on that one, though.
Thanks for looking. I shot 4 @ ISO6400 and overexposed with the intent of B&W and a grain filter. Perhaps I was a bit heavy-handed.:lol: 1&3 I could probably do a tighter crop to fix the "looking out of frame" issue. For 2 I was shooting @ f3.5 so I'd get faster recycle times on the flash. After I got them up on my computer, I realized the sacrifice I made for recycle times. I'm going to shoot at 5.6 or 8 next time for a more forgiving DOF. I also think I was getting a focus lock, recomposing and leaning in a few inches without refocusing, so my recycle bin is filled with dramaticly lit, tack sharp ears.:banghead: From the mistakes I made, I've learned what not to do next time. Thanks again for the feedback!
Jason

Rufus, I changed the comp on those 2.
_DSC6394.jpg

_DSC6453.jpg

Here's one that I think supports the looking out of frame bit because of the shadow. Whaddya think?

3397633816_e5e97457d9.jpg

2 was pretty neat. Caught my eye.

I"ll have to go against the flow and say that I don't like #2 at all. Her fingers look out of proportion. I can only guess you were using a fairly wide lens, and were close to her. And it looks like she's eating her hand.

I"ll have to go against the flow and say that I don't like #2 at all. Her fingers look out of proportion. I can only guess you were using a fairly wide lens, and were close to her. And it looks like she's eating her hand.
So back off and use a longer FL?
Thanks again for looking!

i love the lighting. I want to try these shots out. Can you explain your set up please?

i love the lighting. I want to try these shots out. Can you explain your set up please?
Thanks. The ones of the girl are one lp120 camera left or right shot thru an umbrella. The one of the guy was 2 lp120s far left and right. You can vary the softness of the light by changing the distance from the flash to the subject.

Thanks. The ones of the girl are one lp120 camera left or right shot thru an umbrella. The one of the guy was 2 lp120s far left and right. You can vary the softness of the light by changing the distance from the flash to the subject.

great! other than that then, it's pitch dark until the flash flashes? What did you use as a background?

Most reactions

Back