What's new

Had to find colours! Oil and Water

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
6,593
Reaction score
3,719
Location
Ontario
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Winter drearies were starting to set in so I had to find some colours!
I tried oil and water for the first time and for these used a cd for the background. My lighting was lacking, or rather the batteries in my lights were lacking so I didn't get to shoot for very long.
This is what I came up with on my first try, totally going to play with this again today!

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for taking a look!













This one came about because I lost focus with a different material underneath, I thought the outcome was kinda neat so I took a few shots, definitely something to play around with more :)

 
Try shooting at a somewhat oblique angle. Go to flickr and look up Rob Ashcroft.
 
Checked out his images and setup and it confirmed the issue I personally had with the images and what I figured was wrong. I was too close to my background.
My setup was definitely low tech but same light positions etc.

I was working like he was, background on the floor and water tray suspended above (will suspend it higher today).
For the fill light coming from above I am working in one of the greenhouse rooms (brighter light today from the looks of it, woot!)
Played with different flashlights and combinations of flashlights for the light on the background. (yes I need flash! but gotta work with what you have ;) )

I did try different angles but wasn't happy with the outcome, my batteries started to fail way too soon, these ones were the best of the bunch. I do like them, especially for their colours but I certainly did envision something much different when I set out to try this.

I'm going to try again today and see what else I can come up with, thanks for reminding me of Rob I had seen his shots before but forgot!
 
Ok had another go at it, not perfectly happy with this, too much oil and it was hard to find a good composition but a good jumping off point for next time.

 
Thanks! I have tried the CD but have failed miserably so far.... but it's super cold out there again today, a good day to try again perhaps! I love the shot at the link, so clean and pure, THAT is what I'm aiming at.
 
I really like the last one as well. I like the fact that all the bubbles appear to be settling at the bottom. Not sure you intended that but it works.
 
Thanks Rick, not quite intentional during shooting but definitely intentional selecting the crop, I like the "crowding in" feeling it has.
 
I'm liking where you're going with this. More, more!
 
He may have used a dropper to get isolated bubbles, not entirely sure what kind of set up or process he used.
 
I love the pattern / texture in number three. I'm going to have to try this, now. :boogie:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom