Haggling/bargaining for Tokina 11-16/2.8 at Wing Shing Photo in Hong Kong?

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure how many people will be able to answer this. Are there other forums out there that might be able to help, specifically in regards to Hong Kong?

Anyway, Wing Shing Photo has been highly recommended not just by locals but by photography forums too. The only thing is that their prices are not set and it's negotiable. I've seen some friends haggle before but I've never done it myself.

Tin Cheung Camera, the other reputable camera shop in Hong Kong, sells the Tokina 11-16 at a set price of 5100 HKD, approximately 654 USD

1. When haggling, do I ask THEM for a starting price or will they ask me?

2. I was thinking of starting off with 4300 HKD as the asking price. I know I probably won't get it, but I should work from there?

3 My target price is 47-4900 HKD. Does this sound reasonable?

4. At a place like Wing Shing, if I don't like the price, should I just keep calm and walk away? I know that works a lot in the street vendors and other places you can bargain, but Wing Shing is way more "official" even though they bargain

They will ask you for the price.
Who's to say that their lowest price is going to be less than 5100 HKD?
If nothing is marked with a price, they probably are "playing the game" trying to get a bigger profit.
Even then, they are not there to make a deal with them self. Asking what the lowest they'll take is almost insulting in that kind of negotiating market.

If you 'ruin' your chances as Wing Shing, than it's over. They won't give you a deal.
Don't be too harsh, and try to not be insulting when negotiating.
Never say the product is bad, unless cosmetically there is.
But talk about things like "Oh I really really want this lens while I'm in the area, but I don't have **** HKD to spend. Would you take 4300 HKD?"
Not exactly like that but you get the picture.
If you are able to communicate with the shop workers,
meaning no language barrier, try to strike a casual conversation, with laughs and then ask for the deal later on
after a few minutes of browsing.

Be careful with wording.
If he 'knows' you're going to walk out of the store with that lens no matter the price, they will be much more firm on the price
and might not give a deal.

This is just general info I know from a haggling market. I've worked at a pawn shop for a few years here in California.

Thanks for the advice.

I really need the lens (or would like to have it) since I'll be going to Shanghai in two weeks. I'm not going to say that though, I guess I'll just say I'm in HK for a few months and want to buy

Would only bringing enough cash to pay for it help? For example, if I bring just 4900 HKD, nothing outrageous. Would telling them I want to pay in cash help any?

Also, let's say they quote a completely ridiculous price, like 6000 HKD. Is it bad to mention something like "I could go to Tin Cheung and get it for 5100 HKD" or something like that?

And I would never ask what the lowest price they'd give me is, I'm not THAT bad at this haha

Bringing enough cash is more of a personal thing. They shouldn't ever know how much cash you have on you.
As a buyer, that's your tool.
But if you do only bring enough cash, and you kinda hint that to them, than it gets rid of the haggling process.
For the seller, it's now a "sell it to him, or not."

Playing the "I'll buy it somewhere else game" is dangerous sometimes.
That makes you, "trying" to be in control.
You have to convince them that you're in control for this to work
The hard thing is that, you're in their place, their shop, their kingdom.
You'll either instantly get a response like "Okay than get the eff out of here".
Or a "let me see what I can do" and maybe you'll get that deal.
As a seller, they know that if you don't buy it, someone else will.
Now the seller has to decide, sell it right now for less, or sell it in a month or 2, for more.

Just remember, this is their game.
Haggling is their career, life, and it's what they do every day.
They have a huge advantage.

Goodluck!!

Do you research before hand, know the cheapest price that it can be bought for, be it on ebay or where ever, then start your bidding a good chunk below that. Reading the original post you are hoping to get a 5%-9% discount - AIM HIGHER! You have nothing to lose and they have your business to gain. If you are finding you are reaching an impass with the price, then move onto what else they will throw into the deal - filters, cleaning goods, you will find they will be more willing to throw them in than reduce the price further. Unless something has changed, then there are 100's of places with camera kit, so if you don't get your deal in one place, you will get it in another. Good luck!

Just an update: I bought the lens today and got it for 4900 HKD. There wasn't much haggling done though. When I asked to see it, they offered it to me at 4900 even though their listed price was 5680. It was a much cheaper than I would've paid in the US for a new lens, especially including tax and whatnot. I was stupid though. When I asked to try the lens he said "is the price okay?" and I just answered yes. I guess that ended the negotiation process. I regret it but I'm definitely not disappointed.

Btw, I'm LOVING the lens so far

Most reactions

New Topics

Back