half screen black on 5d

rdzmzda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok so im having issues with my 5d....not sure if something is wrong or if my setting are messed up. if i put my camera on 1/8000 shutter speed the screen is black if i lower the speed the blackness shows up less i.e. it shows more of the top. granted the lighting is bad but y is it showing part of the picture but not just underexposing the whole thing? on the lower shutter speeds i have no problem

Are you using flash when you have these problems?
At what speed do you stop having problems?

It does sound like you are using flash. The max sync speed is probably 1/250 or 1/200...anything faster and the shutter won't every be fully open when the flash fires, so you end up with a 'black bar' across the image.

If your flash has HHS mode, you can use that and it will work with any shutter speed, but your flash range is severely limited.

If you are not using flash, they you are probably underexposing the image. You would practically have to be shooting directly into the sun to get an exposure at 1/8000.

ok so im having issues with my 5d....not sure if something is wrong or if my setting are messed up. if i put my camera on 1/8000 shutter speed the screen is black if i lower the speed the blackness shows up less i.e. it shows more of the top. granted the lighting is bad but y is it showing part of the picture but not just underexposing the whole thing? on the lower shutter speeds i have no problem

You are joking arn't you ? 1/8000 in low light

i've only used and needed shutter speeds that fast at airshows... what were you taking pictures of that needed a shutter speed that fast?

If the OP shot using fluorescent light..Wouldn't that be an issue? I heard that for those lights you need to at least shoot below a certain shutter speed to capture the lights in a full rotation. Sometimes they blink too fast to capture it and you get odd colors and possibly what the OP was mentioning. Just a though in case you didn't use flash.

i was trying to capture the water droplet ripple effect...and not low light persay just not really bright either and i do have a flash....hmmm ok well later i will try to spotlight it and make sure...just making sure my camera wasnt having issues sounds like its not thanks....

To freeze movement with flash...the shutter speed should be irrelevant (as long as it's at or below the max sync). The burst of flash is probably faster than 1/8000 so it will freeze the movement.

hmmm ok so what would 1/8000 even be used for then?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back