What's new

Halloween C&C: Questions!

well i figured i would try my hand at PP. here's what i came up with without it being too overly proccessed

Thanks! That came out pretty good.

#1 You cut off her foot and leg and you also chose to have her head in the middle of the frame.

#2 has similar issues in that she is really tight on the left side, cut off on the frame and you cut off her left leg.

#3 is better, you didn't cut off any major body parts, but you left alot of head room on top of her head. Get in closer. You also seem to have missed the focus, she seems blurry

#4 probably the better composed shot, she fills up the frame decently and you have her body in a way that angles are shaped and formed.

When you say with flash, what flash are you using? Your popup flash or an actual mounted flash? If using a mounted flash, look into bouncing the flash off walls and ceilings so you arent just blasting her head on (such as you did in photo 1).

You can try properly exposing for the background, set the mounted flash to TTL (or adjust exposure manually) and use your flash to fill in the light.

Read up on strobist info Strobist: Lighting 101 to get a better idea of how flash and lights work.

Thanks! I bookmarked the link. I'm currently using my popup flash (still saving for that 580exII, just bought a nifty fifty though!).

I've been a bit confused about TTL vs E-TTL. What I get is that TTL does NOT use pre-flashes, and E-TTL does, correct? I've googled it, but most articles go into how TTL and E-TTL works and why, and they don't really clarify the differences for a complete noob. I ask, because in some settings I'd really like to NOT have pre-flashes.

Is it possible to use an external flash without pre-flashes, through the AF beam (infrared?) on the 580exII, or is that AF assist beam for something completely different?

And thanks for all the replies so far!
 
Ohh, ohh, I want to post a pic too!

r0e9a8copy.jpg


:D
 
I'm currently using my popup flash (still saving for that 580exII, just bought a nifty fifty though!).

I've been a bit confused about TTL vs E-TTL. What I get is that TTL does NOT use pre-flashes, and E-TTL does, correct? I've googled it, but most articles go into how TTL and E-TTL works and why, and they don't really clarify the differences for a complete noob. I ask, because in some settings I'd really like to NOT have pre-flashes.

Is it possible to use an external flash without pre-flashes, through the AF beam (infrared?) on the 580exII, or is that AF assist beam for something completely different?

And thanks for all the replies so far!

Anyone? :( Also, should I have just slowed down the shutter for the non-flash pics?
 
Monitor is fine and last I checked about a month ago i'm 20/20. Don't post the picture if it's just about how you would do it. You posted it because you wanted the OP to see it and everyone else and you most likely expected everyone to love it, but it just made the photo worse. I don't have an edited image to share because I understand that the image had a pretty bad exposure to start and trying some PP will only make it worse. I also understand my skill level and don't go posting an edited picture and thinking it's so amazing that I should tell everyone that doesn't agree my PP work is flawless that there eyes must be messed up or something is wrong with there monitor.

This is why I love this place soooooooo much.
Ken was just trying to help out, which is bucket loads more than your drivel has done. :thumbup:

and I was trying to help by telling him how his edited image was and then he began to tell me how I was wrong and it's my eyes or monitor even though many people here agree with me. Sorry guess i shouldn't comment on someones pictures or edits anymore and try to tell them whats wrong.
 
I'm currently using my popup flash (still saving for that 580exII, just bought a nifty fifty though!).

I've been a bit confused about TTL vs E-TTL. What I get is that TTL does NOT use pre-flashes, and E-TTL does, correct? I've googled it, but most articles go into how TTL and E-TTL works and why, and they don't really clarify the differences for a complete noob. I ask, because in some settings I'd really like to NOT have pre-flashes.

Is it possible to use an external flash without pre-flashes, through the AF beam (infrared?) on the 580exII, or is that AF assist beam for something completely different?

And thanks for all the replies so far!

Anyone? :( Also, should I have just slowed down the shutter for the non-flash pics?
Slowing down the shutter would have made it brighter but the chances or camera shake are increased significantly and also if she moved at all you will see the blur. In that situation either crank up the ISO or realize that you soon have to get fast glass like the 50mm. Shooting at 1.8 will allow you to shoot low light much better. Either a 50mm or save for a flash. Hope that helped.
tj
 
I'm currently using my popup flash (still saving for that 580exII, just bought a nifty fifty though!).

I've been a bit confused about TTL vs E-TTL. What I get is that TTL does NOT use pre-flashes, and E-TTL does, correct? I've googled it, but most articles go into how TTL and E-TTL works and why, and they don't really clarify the differences for a complete noob. I ask, because in some settings I'd really like to NOT have pre-flashes.

Is it possible to use an external flash without pre-flashes, through the AF beam (infrared?) on the 580exII, or is that AF assist beam for something completely different?

And thanks for all the replies so far!

Anyone? :( Also, should I have just slowed down the shutter for the non-flash pics?
Slowing down the shutter would have made it brighter but the chances or camera shake are increased significantly and also if she moved at all you will see the blur. In that situation either crank up the ISO or realize that you soon have to get fast glass like the 50mm. Shooting at 1.8 will allow you to shoot low light much better. Either a 50mm or save for a flash. Hope that helped.
tj

Thanks, I recently got a 50mm 1.8 and I'm saving up for a flash!
 
Anyone? :( Also, should I have just slowed down the shutter for the non-flash pics?
Slowing down the shutter would have made it brighter but the chances or camera shake are increased significantly and also if she moved at all you will see the blur. In that situation either crank up the ISO or realize that you soon have to get fast glass like the 50mm. Shooting at 1.8 will allow you to shoot low light much better. Either a 50mm or save for a flash. Hope that helped.
tj

Thanks, I recently got a 50mm 1.8 and I'm saving up for a flash!

Awesome! ya the 50 is great for lower light like the pictures you showed us. What lens did you use for those?
 
I used the kit 28-135mm. 3.5 at the widest, not super great for lowlight, as you know.

Now that I've gotten the 50mm, it pretty much stays on the camera. I only switch out to the kit lens when I know there will be tons of light.
 
All four shots were pretty decent. I did like the non-flash in #2, though the flash brought out the fluorescence in her pants. In #4, you said something about how her face was under-exposed. Not sure, but next time try to have her chin upward, so more of the ambient light falls from the overhead light source? With the "dark nature" of her face-painting, not sure you really wanted that anyway.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom