Halloween in January? *sharing photos*

... I think the surreal look lends itself to the people portraying fake characters in the first place.
...and I actually agree: in this very rare instance, the plasticy surreal look actually works.

I don't like the first one at all... the background is way too in focus for my tastes. I actually REALLY like the closer up one of her on your site. #4. More brooding look, too. Very neat.

I like the other two a lot.

That being said, I think your shots are very nice. I enjoyed looking at them on your site. Did you airbrush any of these?

What the heck is cosplay, anyway? Some sort of "dress up as an anime chick" conference?

Looking again... I think your closeups are really fantastic. You just need to watch your backgrounds when you take a step back. Like the one of the fairy girl standing in what appears to be a hotel... not a great supporting background there, so blur it... but then you have the guy who looks like a waiter/hotel attendant in the same background? Perfect. See what I mean?

Did you airbrush any of these?

I used retouching skin techniques that I've learned in the past couple of months. I still have a ton of improving to do.

What the heck is cosplay, anyway? Some sort of "dress up as an anime chick" conference?

Not all chicks, guys too. Most cosplayers make costumes based on Japanese animation series; like Salor Moon. There are some who cosplay based American and other Asian comics, as well as original made up characters. Anime and comic conventions are just meeting places where they come to show off their stuff. Even the butler in my gallery was cosplaying based on an anime series. Throughout the year, many cosplayers also hold gatherings and photoshoots locally.

I know these photos look unrealistic. This is the effect I sorta wanted. The characters are all fictional and so I wanted to process my photos to get that slightly supernatural effect; hence the centerfold look.

For more info on cosplay, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay and www.cosplay.com

Nearly all my photos were taken at the pool area of the Marriott Hotel @ Los Angeles Airport; the site for Anime L.A. 09. Not exactly a choice location for a photoshoot. It was very crowded. At times, there were hundres of people gathered in the pool area; cosplayers and photographers. That is why most of my shots are close ups or angled upward. I didn't have a fancy "L" lens or my handy nifty-50 so it was difficult to bokeh the background =(

I'm happy that some of you enjoyed my photos. I am updating my gallery daily. Thank you all for your comments.

Last edited:
#1 is a hair too yellow, but otherwise looks great. #2 and #3 don't look like real people. Like, 100% honestly they look like lifeless mannequins, with really nice eyes.

Nearly all cosplayers use wigs. Many with fancy colors like real orange, purple, and teal. They also often use colored contact lenses to change their eye colors to match their characters. The count of monte cristo (blue char) in my gallery is a good example of cosplay.

I just can't figure out what the draw is for the hot chicks. :) I would expect to see nerdy chicks, not models doing this sort of thing - unless they are paid.

I need to find one of those conventions in the mid-west to shoot. :)

I just can't figure out what the draw is for the hot chicks. :) I would expect to see nerdy chicks, not models doing this sort of thing - unless they are paid.

I need to find one of those conventions in the mid-west to shoot. :)

Did you check out his site? Not only are all of the women hot, there doesn't seem to be a dude in sight! Now THAT is a target rich environment..

Thanks. I put one on my calendar for May 8th in Rosemont Illinois. That's only about an hour from me. :thumbup:

Sounds great, Tharmsen. That was my first event. Just a tip: if you get a chance, go scope out the place early so that you can find good settings for your backgrounds. You can usually find some interesting places around the event area. Parking garages, stairways, etc are usually close and easily accessed. Remember, cosplayers LOVE taking photos. They are usually lots of fun too.

I met some really nice photographers there. I saw many photographers walk around the area with small cosplayer groups, taking mini-photoshoots. Networking is always a plus at these events. Next local event, I'm already hooked up. I've been approached to do personal photoshoots with different small groups in the area before and after the convention. All in good fun =)

What lens and other settings did you use for these pics?

What lens and other settings did you use for these pics?

My equipment is beginner toys. Canon XTi + Sigma 18-200mm OS. Nothing special. If you want, I can post an original (resize only) and my hand at it, side by side.

My equipment is beginner toys. Canon XTi + Sigma 18-200mm OS. Nothing special. If you want, I can post an original (resize only) and my hand at it, side by side.

That would be awesome, as you seem to have mastered portraiture...

All I did here was crop, resize, and my usual retouch processing.

451583691_UMkJk-L.jpg
451583834_6JFDZ-L.jpg

** note: blown out areas are intentional depending on my mood.

Okay, so what's your, "Usual retouch processing?" Do you sharpen, unsharpen mask, etc... Let's have it... Your edit is a real masterpiece...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back